- Calls existing donors using donor database, SalesForce.com, to seek interest in new campaigns and match donor interest to program specific needs
- Develops trust and connection with donor
- Provides pathway for donor to make single or recurring donation
- Attends conferences, sporting events, military and seniors events, Port meetings and similar functions to engage new corporate sponsors and individual donors
- Writes letters, visits in person or calls new corporate entities with similar missions or interest in Battleship IOWA to seek interest
- Sets up VIP Tour, meeting with C-Level executive, or other donor request to further sponsorship conversation with high-value donors
- Works with Marketing Team and C-Level executives to develop capital projects and capacity initiatives that require donor funding and corporate sponsorship
- Works with Board of Directors and Board of Trustees in identifying companies and organizations with which they have ties or relationships that may have an interest in aligning with Battleship IOWA
- Background or study in fundraising in the non-profit or private sector preferred.
- This is a coordinator level volunteer position and requires the kind of outgoing personality and perseverance necessary to be comfortable making "the ask" and following up on leads.
- Must be organized and have excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Must be presentable and comfortable representing the Pacific Battleship Center in potentially high donor and elite social circles.
- Comfort with the Microsoft Office Suite and willingness to learn Salesforce essential functions if not already familiar.
- Should have a connection to or genuine interest in the Battleship IOWA, the mission of the Pacific Battleship Center and its programs or the historic preservation of Naval ships and the educational opportunities they present for youth, veterans, and the general public.
Minimum Commitment: We recognize that this position as described reads like a full time position. Ideally, that’s what it would be. We can dream and we can ask, but we can hardly expect a person with the qualifications we desire to be available full time as a volunteer - but you never know. If this position sincerely interests you, even if your availability is constrained, please talk to us. We have a host of volunteer positions available within our development department. If you have the talent and desire, we’ll find a good fit that works with your schedule: Grant research and writing, Membership, Donor, and Direct Mail support, etc. There are ample opportunities. You'd be working with a great team.
As a PBC volunteer, you are joining the crew of the Battleship IOWA. We are a community that is sustained by the drive to preserve and interpret this iconic and unique piece of history for generations to come. You will work with a dedicated and highly motivated group of volunteers from multiple generations including veterans who served aboard the Battleship IOWA. We enjoy a host of social activities including potlucks, field trips, special lectures and behind the scenes tours of areas of the ship that are not currently (and may never be) open to the general public. Volunteers receive a discount in our ship’s store and in some area restaurants and businesses. Our volunteers are also recognized with a variety of awards and ceremonies that celebrate milestones of service and outstanding accomplishments. Come be a part of history today!
Processing and Training:
Prospective volunteers must complete the online application at the link listed below. Prospects may apply and interview for multiple opportunities, but acceptance is determined by each department head.
New volunteers are paired with a Crew Sponsor on their first day and are expected to attend a one day orientation class which is offered each month. Departmental training is provided through one-on-one mentorship. Training will be provided in Salesforce data entry .
To start the process, please complete our online application at: www.pacificbattleship.com/volunteer and click on Sign Up Today!
- Donor Management
- Grant Writing / Research
- Relationship Building
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Must be at least 22
- Orientation or Training
- See Above Description
- Restoration and Preservation -...
- Full Stack Web/Python Developer...
- Tour Guides! Join the crew of...
- Accounting - Join the Crew of...
- Receptionist / Membership Sales...
- Security - Join the crew of the...
- Carpenters - Decking Crew Needed...
- Archives and Collections...
- Education Guides - Join the crew...
- Development Lead/ Sponsor...