The Village Link (TVL) is a progressive 501(c)3 with a mission to reduce poverty by empowering and facilitating economic development and sustainability in underserved communities through innovative technology infrastructure, entrepreneur mentorship and providing access to literacy, education and vocational programs. Our current project is located in rural Sierra Leone. To learn more about our programs and approach to economic development visit www.thevillagelink.org or Facebook.com/thevillagelink.
TVL is seeking a volunteer Director of Development to assist with fundraising activities to help our organization get to the next level. The Director of Development is responsible for leading the planning, organizing, and directing all of TVL's fundraising including, annual fund, planned giving, special events and capital campaigns. The Director works closely with other Directors and the Board of Directors in all development and fund raising endeavors.
- Must embrace the mission to reduce poverty by empowering and facilitating economic development and sustainability in underserved communities through innovative technology infrastructure, entrepreneur mentorship and providing access to literacy, education and vocational programs.
- Strong interpersonal and writing skills.
- Have knowledge and experience in fund raising techniques, particularly major gift fundraising.
- Possess the skills to work with and motivate staff, board members and volunteers.
- Have the desire to get out and build external relationships.
- Willingness to work in a start-up environment.
- Be organized and exhibit "follow through" on tasks and goals.
- Display a positive attitude, show concern for people and community, demonstrate presence, self-confidence, common sense and good listening ability.
- Have an interest in Africa and serving underserved communities.
- A bachelor’s degree.
- 5 years minimum experience in professional fundraising.
ACTUAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Grow a major gifts program including identification, cultivation and solicitation of major donors.
- Oversee grant seeking including research, proposal writing, and reporting requirements.
- Direct the annual fund program, including mailings and annual fundraising drives.
- Direct capital campaigns and other major fundraising drives.
- Make public appearances/accept speaking engagements to share information about the TVL with the community occasionally.
- Supervise and collaborate with other fundraising staff/volunteers.
- Oversee creation of publications to support fund raising activities.
- Perform other related duties as requested.
This is a (part-time) volunteer position to start with possibility of contract or full-time employment. Possible opportunity to travel to Sierra Leone.
- Resource Development / Management
- Donor Management
- Strategic Planning
- Grant Writing / Research
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- 5 - 15 hours per week
- Must have experience with grant writing for international nonprofits.