In-School Mentors Needed
We are now recruiting volunteers for the 2018-19 school year!
One hour a week can make all the difference to a child, when you're an In School Mentor. Call 250-748-2447 to learn more about how just 1 hour each week can make a positive difference in a young person's life. Island Savings is a proud sponsor for In School Mentoring.
Studies show that mentoring helps kids stay in school, avoid risky behavior such as bullying, and grow up having more respect for family, peers and community.
Helping children reach their full potential can lead to positive community outcomes like a reduction in poverty and unemployment, safer schools and neighbourhoods, and a new generation of civic-minded adults.
The In School Mentoring program provides girls and boys with a role model and a friend to talk to and share the experiences of growing up with, within school grounds. For one hour a week, mentors meet with their mentee and engage in activities such as board games, crafts or just hang out in the playground.
The In School Mentoring program requires a weekly visit of 1 hour for the duration of the school year. Matches do not meet over the summer break or during other school holidays.
The program strives to do the following:
- provide a role model and a friend for girls and boys.
- promote the importance of staying in school and healthy relationships with family and peers.
- instill trust and self-confidence in order to make healthy decisions.
- encourage leadership skills and independent thinking.
- and above all, make a difference while having fun.
- 90% of mentors saw a positive change in the child they were mentoring *
- 88% of students showed improved literacy skills *
- 64% had developed higher levels of self-esteem *
We'll work with your schedule.
Cowichan RegionDuncan, BC V9L 1N7Canada
- Child Development
- Literacy / Reading
- Relationship Building
- General Education
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- One hour per week