The STEAM Teacher (volunteer position) will assist in the design and implementation of Dageno’s Akiba Community Collaboratory, which is a hands-on science, technology, engineering, art, and math (STEAM) makerspace for students to design, experiment, invent, and collaborate as they engage in science, engineering, and tinkering. The Collaboratory aims to transform the idea of education from a rote means of getting a certificate, to a process of thinking and doing to earn income and solve community problems from within, getting youth off the streets and into creating jobs for themselves. It also focuses on the value of savings and investing in the future.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES OF THIS JOB INCLUDE
Assist in the design and implementation of Dageno’s STEAM program. Sample tasks include:
- With support from administration, develop and enhance the STEAM curriculum based on provided Tanzanian curriculum
- Develop a variety of instructional strategies, modes of media, and performance assessments, which guide Dageno’s teaching and learning process
- Develop appropriate assessment procedures to evaluate the degree to which each student masters the learning objectives
Lead groups of Dageno students through a curriculum intended to support the development of STEAM skills. Sample tasks include:
- Develop and deliver daily, fun and relevant project-based STEAM lessons that are integrated across multiple content areas and are aligned with Dageno’s inquiry-based learning methods
- Maintain a classroom atmosphere that fosters student learning
- Assess the accomplishments of students in a variety of ways on a regular basis and provide progress reports as required
Share teaching best practices with colleagues. Sample tasks include:
- Work collaboratively with colleagues and provide professional development sessions and workshops to improve instructional practices
- Serve as a STEAM resource for colleagues
WE WANT YOU TO APPLY IF...
- You have experience of successfully working alongside a team of diverse individuals
- You have a passion for education equality
- You're a self-starter and committed to the greater good
- You enjoy navigating unforeseen challenges
- You're an incredibly creative thinker
- You're generous with your time and enjoy flexibility
- You're an exceptional team player with a great work ethic
- You have an unshakable thirst to be at the heart of social change
- You wish to put your talents, passion and skills to work for Dageno
- Possess excellent English written and oral communication skills
- Mastery of STEAM content area, demonstrates effective classroom management skills, and is able to teach students in a clear and effective manner to drive academic achievement
- Makes meticulous plans for units and lessons that address higher-order thinking skills, and uses formative assessment to constantly adjust plans based on student needs.
- Strong classroom management skills with the ability to inspire and motivate students
- A commitment to life-long learning with the desire to take advantage of professional development and coaching to constantly improve
- A willingness to share your knowledge and teaching skills with colleagues
- Bachelor's degree required, graduate degree a plus
- At least one year’s experience in teaching STEAM in an educational setting
- Familiarity with international development, particularly education
- Be willing to committing to at least 3 months volunteering with Dageno in Karatu, Tanzania.
This is a volunteer position, with a minimum commitment of 3 months.
- Math / Science Instruction
- Teaching / Instruction
- Youth Services
- Environmental Science
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- At least 3 months