Abilis (ABLE-ISS) is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization that provides services and supports for over 700 individuals with special needs and their families from birth through the life span. Abilis has been a leader in serving the special needs community in lower Fairfield County for 65 years and has a long-standing reputation for high quality care.
REPORTS TO: Chief Operating Officer/Director of Human Resources
HOURS: Flexible. Estimate a 20 hour/week commitment
Abilis is seeking a volunteer coordinator to act as a point person for volunteers throughout the organization. The Coordinator will design, plan and direct a volunteer program to augment the services of the regular staff. Oversee the recruiting, interviewing, hiring, training, and scheduling of volunteer workers. Ensures that volunteer project milestones/goals are met.
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
Plan the volunteer program/service
- Develop and implement goals and objectives for the volunteer program which reflect the Abilis mission.
- Assess the need for volunteers to enhance program/service delivery
- Conduct ongoing evaluation of the programs and services delivered by volunteers and implement improvements as necessary
Organize the volunteer program/service
- Develop and administer forms and records to document the volunteer activities
- Identify volunteer assignments that provide meaningful work for volunteers and write the volunteer position descriptions in consultation with staff as appropriateEngage volunteers
- Promote the volunteer program to gain community support of the volunteer program and the organization
- Develop and implement effective strategies to recruit the right volunteers with the right skills
- Develop and implement an intake and interview protocol for potential volunteers to ensure the best match between the skills, qualification, and interests of the volunteers and the needs of Abilis.
- Implement a screening process for potential volunteers according to accepted screening standards and practicesLead the volunteer program/service
- Train staff to work effectively and cooperatively with volunteers
- Orient volunteers to increase their understanding of Abilis, its clients, its services and the role and responsibilities of volunteers
- Ensure that volunteers are given appropriate training to be successful in their positions
- Ensure that volunteer check-in procedures are followed and records of volunteer hours are maintained according to established procedures
- Ensure that volunteers receive the appropriate level of supervision
- Establish and implement a process for evaluating the contribution of individual volunteers
- Conduct volunteer feedback program to track successes and identify problems so that relationships are maintained and system improvements are made
- Provide ongoing support and guidance for volunteers Act as a single point of contact for communications
- Plan and implement formal and informal volunteer recognition activities to recognize the contribution of volunteers to the organization
- Strives for growth in the volunteer program. Develops a plan to recruit new volunteers to Abilis and sets goals for that development.
- Prepare an annual report on the contribution of the volunteer program to the organization RELEVANT EXPERIENCE:
Ideally, experience working with volunteers or volunteer organizations and/or active in community service activities and organizations
this candidate will have some experience in managing volunteers, and/or some experience in working with special needs populations. Above all, we are seeking someone who is energetic, hardworking, and passionate about the people we serve.
SKLLS AND CAPABILITIES:
- Must be able to demonstrate sensitivity to the issues intrinsic to managing and rewarding volunteer staff
- Demonstrated capability to effectively communicate orally and in writing.
- Ability to work well with a diverse group of staff and volunteers
- Ability to effectively manage a wide array of tasks, projects, and responsibilities
- Strong organization and planning skills essential. Demonstrated ability with team building.
- Ability to work productively in an unstructured environment.
- Proficient in basic computer applications, such as word processing, spreadsheets, database, and internet usage.
- Good record keeping skills.
Please submit a resume thoughtful cover letter describing your experience, what you can uniquely bring to Abilis and what interests you about the position/organization to Eva Kramer at email@example.com.
- Administrative Support
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- A few hours per week