Unique Thrift Store Volunteer
- A group opportunity. Invite your friends.
12 people are interested
SpayMart's one-of-a-kind Thrift Store & Adoption Center is looking for volunteers to provide support at its retail location in Metairie. We need volunteer coverage in the shop six days a week during regular operating hours. You'll receive training from staff and senior volunteers, and responsibilities will include:
CAT CARE: dispense food & water, clean litter-boxes, change bedding, sweep, and hang with the cats.
STORE TASKS: dust, sweep, prepare merchandise displays, sort donated items, customer service, and hang with the cats.
A good candidate will be prompt, professional, thoughtful, dependable, and good with people and animals. You’ll also need to be able to lift and carry up to 25lbs.
- 2 volunteers Monday - Friday, 10AM - 1PM
- 2 volunteers Monday - Friday, 1PM - 4PM
A GOOD MATCH FOR: adults who love cats (and quirky thrift shops), seniors with energy and time.
NOTE: We're also looking for people who can fill-in when someone can't make it. If you can't commit to specific days, let us know if you can be available to fill a spot or two every now and then. Thanks!
About SpayMart, Inc.
P.O. Box 6493, Metairie, LA 70009, US
SpayMart is a registered 501(c)3 public charity that runs a lifesaving animal welfare organization. Since 1998, they have worked diligently to enhance the lives of animals in the Greater New Orleans area and southeast Louisiana through programs directed at education, adoption, foster, rescue, and affordable spay/neuter. SpayMart’s goals are to: REDUCE pet overpopulation in the community; PREVENT cruelty to all animals; PROMOTE respect and compassion for all animals; PROVIDE shelter and care for homeless and unwanted animals; FIND loving, forever homes for the animals in our care.
SpayMart programs include:
- Adoption Program: Three locations: our Thrift Store & Adoption Center in Metairie, and PetSmart retail adoption locations in New Orleans and Slidell.
- Spay/Neuter Assistance Program: Provides affordable spay/neuter to animals of indigent pet owners and to homeless, feral cats. Based on a voucher system.
- Kitten Foster Program: Provides foster care for rescued kittens until they are ready for adoption. All kittens are sterilized, vaccinated, and microchipped.
- Picayune Sanctuary: Home to cats rescued from extreme weather events and abandonment. Each cat is sterilized, vaccinated, microchipped, cared for until adoption.
- Community/Feral Cat Program: Provides resources for trapping, colony management, and affordable spay/neuter services.
- Seniors for Seniors: Places senior cats with senior citizens so both can enjoy the rewards of lower stress, less loneliness, and better health.
- Felicity Fund: Provides funding for life-saving emergency medical treatment for animals of financially disadvantaged owners.
- Transport Rescue: Safely transports cats to shelters in the north where there is a shortage of animals and higher demand for adoption.
We'll work with your schedule.
6601 Veterans Memorial BlvdMetairie, LA 70003
- Animal Care / Handling
- Retail / Sales
- People 55+
- Must be at least 18
- 3-hour shifts, Mon-Fri, 10AM-4PM
- Able to lift up to 25 lbs