African Education Network (AEN) defines itself as a cross-continental network to advocate multi-facet development in Africa via education. It has been registered as a non-profit organization with the Government of the District of Columbia in the United States since January 2017.
Many CBOs (community-based organizations, including NGOs operating at the community level) in Africa are rooted in the community and more closely connected with the local people and resources than other entities. However, these organizations oftentimes are not widely known as they function mainly at the community level, lacking attention and support from the international community. Their great work is not commensurate with the recognition they have received.
Witnessing the lack of effective communication between African CBOs and the global youth who are eager to engage themselves in Africa, in particular, AEN seizes the opportunity to bridge communication gaps via education. It engages CBOs in Africa and the young people around the world, facilitating the communication between the two sides to foster mutual trust and in-depth cooperation.
Believing that education is an essential means to achieve mutual understanding and improve the communication out of a kaleidoscope of social purposes, AEN is expected to deliver its work through a unique educational approach. This approach integrates three core components: intercultural communication, organizational learning, and newsletter distribution.
Description of the Position
The Social Media Manager leads and supervises the work at AEN’s Social Media Section. The incumbent’s responsibilities consist of:
- Develop content for and manage AEN’s presence across current and future social media channels including Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn;
- Curate and create content that builds meaningful connections to the objectives of AEN and encourages follower engagement;
- Help build brand awareness across all social media networks;
- Remain aware of the latest social media trends to identify the future directions, applications, and outreach practices for meeting identified social media goals.
- Establish and evaluate existing marketing and communications plans and procedures and advise other sections where and when social media should be integrated to assist in reaching objectives.
- Analyze and report on the effectiveness of social media activities to identify areas for improvement new possible directions.
An availability of 5-10 hours per week is needed for this position. The minimum time commitment is 6 months.
We are looking for highly motivated individuals pursing a Bachelor’s or a Master’s degree in Public Relations, Marketing, Communication, or a related field. Undergraduate students and college graduates with demonstrated interests or work experience are encouraged to apply. Experience in the non-profit sector is highly appreciated. The ideal candidate will possess excellent writing and interpersonal skills, with strong commitment to AEN’s values and mission.
Code & ConditionsAn offer of assignment and a copy of the Conditions of Service and Code of Conduct will be issued to the successful candidate. He or she will receive training before the work officially starts. Please note this position is unpaid, as AEN is a non-profit organization and cannot offer financial retribution at this stage. Most of the work will be done online through the AEN’s intranet, remote control system, and emails.
- Social Media / Blogging
- Content Management Systems
- Marketing Strategy & Planning
- Brand Development & Messaging
- Interactive/Social Media/SEO
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Orientation or Training
- 5-10 hours/week
- Minimum time commitment of 6 months