Museum Education Intern
1 person is interested
The National Model Aviation Museum is a department of the Academy of Model Aeronautics, an organization established to promote the hobby and sport of model aviation. The mission of the Museum, archives and library is to collect, preserve and make available the historic, scientific, technical and artistic legacy of model aviation.
The intern will be responsible for multiple projects that will allow for a well-rounded experience and exposure to various museum education-related tasks. The intern will assist, and be under the supervision of the Museum Educator.
- Assist with all functions in the museum, as a member of the Museum team.
- Help maintain the general appearance of the Museum.
- Learn the skills needed for museum work, and the general methods of museum operation.
- Complete at least two projects related to the intern’s interest and skills, such as:
Develop a tour proposal and present it for approval.
Develop a proposal for a small exhibit, then implement the approved proposal.
Develop an educational program or event and include a budget, collaboration and/or sponsorship possibilities, and other relevant information.
Write a grant proposal for an educational outreach opportunity.
- Write weekly reports of activities accomplished.
- Able to work both independently and with others.
- Strong verbal, written, organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Able to organize, manage and/or supervise numerous ongoing projects and bring them to conclusion within their required time frame. Willingness to adjust work schedule as department demands dictate, be perceptive to its needs and demonstrate comprehensive administrative ability.
- Able to work with materials that may be dusty, moldy, or contain insects.
- Able to help lift and carry heavy artifacts, weighing up to 40 pounds.
- Computer literate with abilities that include knowledge of current database programs, museum databases in particular, is strongly preferred, but not required.
- Knowledge of aviation history, model aviation in particular, is preferred, but not required.
- Able to use power tools and basic hand tools is preferred, but not required.
- Desire to work in and contribute to a professional, but comfortable educational environment while having fun.
- Must be ready to learn and have fun doing so!
- Other duties as assigned.
CREDENTIALS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Current undergraduate or graduate student interested in pursuing a career in museums or public history.
- Prior experience in a museum is preferred, but not required.
Application Materials Deadline:
We offer four paid internships per semester. Application materials for semester-based internships related to a University class are due at the following times:
For Spring Internships - due November 1
For Summer Internships - due April 1
For Fall Internships - due July 1
Other unpaid, not-for-credit internships may be offered. Please contact the Museum for more information about these; these applications are accepted on an ongoing basis.
We'll work with your schedule.
5151 E Memorial DriveMuncie, IN 47303
- Adult Education
- Teaching / Instruction
- General Education
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- At least 8 hours per week