The National Model Aviation Museum is a department of the Academy of Model Aeronautics, an organization established to promote the hobby and sport of model aviation. The mission of the museum, archives and library is to collect, preserve, and make available the historic, scientific, technical, and artistic legacy of model aviation.
Summary of work:
The intern will be responsible for multiple projects that will allow for a well-rounded experience, with exposure to various museum-related tasks. Under the supervision of the Archivist, the intern will assist in archives management tasks.
Responsibilities May Include:
- Inventory all, or segments, of the Archives’ collections.
- Enter information into a data management program.
- Research archived materials on topics related to model aviation.
- Assist staff in creating, researching, and installing exhibits.
- Assist Archivist in creating customized housing for Archives collections.
- Work with staff in performing all functions of the Museum.
- Help maintain general appearance of the Museum.
- Other duties as needed and as assigned.
Specific Responsibilities Will Include:
- Proposing a specific project to be developed and implemented over the course of the internship and completed at its conclusion.
- Reading and summarizing two books (as approved by Archivist) related to the project. The summaries will each be two pages long. One report will be due mid-internship, the other at the completion of the internship.
- Submit weekly written reports of activities accomplished.
Education, Skills and ExperiencePreferred:
- Must be a current undergraduate or graduate student interested in pursuing a career in museums, archives or public history.
- Must have the ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
- Must possess strong verbal, written, organizational, and interpersonal skills
- Must have the ability to organize, manage, and/or supervise numerous ongoing projects and conclude them within their required period.
- Must be willing to adjust work schedule as department demands dictate and be perceptive to its needs.
- Must be able to work with materials that may be dusty, moldy, or contain insects.
- Must have the ability to help lift and carry heavy items that may weigh 40-plus pounds.
- Must be computer literate, including familiarity with the Microsoft Office suite. Knowledge of current database programs, museum databases in particular, is strongly preferred but not required.
- Knowledge of aviation history, model aviation in particular, is preferred but not required.
- Ability to use power tools and basic hand tools is preferred, but not required.
- Must have a desire to work in, and contribute to, a professional but comfortable educational environment.
- Must be willing and ready to learn, and have fun doing so!
Submission Deadline: Submissions considered until position filled.
Benefits: Stipend available, possible college credit offered.
- Library Sciences
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Minimum 8 hours a week