The National Model Aviation Museum is a department of the Academy of Model Aeronautics, an organization established to promote the hobby and sport of model aviation. The mission of the Museum, archives and library is to collect, preserve and make available the historic, scientific, technical and artistic legacy of model aviation.
Summary of work:
The intern will be responsible for multiple projects that will allow for a well-rounded experience, with exposure to various museum-related tasks. Under the supervision of the Collections Manager, the intern will assist her in collections management tasks.
Responsibilities May Include:
- Inventory all, or segments of, the permanent collection.
- Catalog, digitally photograph objects, and enter information into a data management program.
- Research artifacts and topics related to model aviation.
- Assist staff in creating, researching, and installing exhibits.
- Assist Registrar in creating custom storage housings for model airplanes and other collections objects.
- Work with staff in performing all functions of the Museum.
- Help maintain general appearance of the Museum.
- Other duties as needed and as assigned.
Specific Responsibilities Will Include:
- Proposing a specific project to be developed and implemented over the course of the internship, and completed at its conclusion.
- Reading and summarizing two books (as approved by Collections Manager) related to the project. One report will be due mid-internship, the other at the completion of the internship.
- Submit weekly written reports of activities accomplished.
Education, Skills and ExperiencePreferred:
- Must be a current undergraduate or graduate student interested in pursuing a career in museums, archives or public history.
- Must have the ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
- Must possess strong verbal, written, organizational, and interpersonal skills
- Must have the ability to organize, manage, and/or supervise numerous ongoing projects and conclude them within their required time frame.
- Must be willing to adjust work schedule as department demands dictate and be perceptive to its needs.
- Must be able to work with materials that may be dusty, moldy, or contain insects.
- Must have the ability to help lift and carry heavy items that may weigh 40-plus pounds.
- Must be computer literate, including familiarity with the various programs in Microsoft Office. Knowledge of current database programs, museum databases in particular, is strongly preferred but not required.
- Knowledge of aviation history, model aviation in particular, is preferred, but not required.
- Ability to use power tools and basic hand tools is preferred, but not required.
- Must have desire to work in and contribute to a professional, but comfortable, educational environment.
- Must be willing and ready to learn, and have fun doing so!!
- Data Entry
- Library Sciences
- Administrative Support
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Minimum 8 hours per week