African Education Network (AEN) defines itself as a cross-continental network to advocate multi-facet development in Africa via education. It has been registered as a non-profit organization with the Government of the District of Columbia in the United States since January 2017.
Many CBOs (community-based organizations, including NGOs operating at the community level) in Africa are rooted in the community and more closely connected with the local people and resources than other entities. However, these organizations oftentimes are not widely known as they function mainly at the community level, lacking attention and support from the international community. Their great work is not commensurate with the recognition they have received.
Witnessing the lack of effective communication between African CBOs and the global youth who are eager to engage themselves in Africa, in particular, AEN seizes the opportunity to bridge communication gaps via education. It engages CBOs in Africa and the young people around the world, facilitating the communication between the two sides to foster mutual trust and in-depth cooperation.
Believing that education is an essential means to achieve mutual understanding and improve the communication out of a kaleidoscope of social purposes, AEN is expected to deliver its work through a unique educational approach. This approach integrates three core components: intercultural communication, organizational learning, and newsletter distribution.
Description of the Position
The Intercultural Communication Manager leads and oversees the work at AEN’s Intercultural Communication Section. The incumbent’s responsibilities consist of:
- Designing training materials and manuals for the Intercultural Communication Section, overseeing the work of Intercultural Communication Facilitators, coordinating the team of interns and ensuring that the deadlines are met;
- Designing, reviewing and editing contents proposed by interns for the pre-departure training sessions and the monthly multicultural awareness activities for all the AEN members, ensuring topics’ relevance and consistency with AEN’s mission and goals;
- Coordinating the team of interns during the on-site counseling and organizing counseling sessions with the interns to discuss the existing challenge periodically;
- Reviewing and editing blog contents proposed by interns and international volunteers;
- Training AEN’s staff and interns in intercultural communication, negotiation, conflict intermediation and counseling strategies;
- Designing work methods and strategic plans to work together with the Organizational Learning Section and communicating with AEN’s other departments when needed, ensuring that AEN’s values are shared by all the AEN members;
- Designing intervention strategies to deal with conflict situations that are either internal, to AEN’s staff and interns, or external, between partner organizations and international volunteers;
- Completing other emerging tasks as needed for AEN’s Intercultural Communication Section;
- Briefing the Intercultural Communication Section’s work progress to Director on a weekly basis.
An availability of 7 hours per week is needed for this position. The incumbent will start working from the time of offer acceptance for a period of at least six months.
We are looking for highly motivated individuals with a Master’s Degree in Social/Intercultural Psychology, Intercultural Training/Communication or a related field. Undergraduate students and college graduates with demonstrated interests or work experience are also encouraged to apply. Experience in the non-profit sector is highly appreciated. The ideal candidate will possess excellent writing and interpersonal skills, with strong commitment to AEN’s values and mission.
Code & Conditions
An offer of assignment and a copy of the Conditions of Service and Code of Conduct will be issued to the successful candidate. He or she will receive training before the work officially starts. Please note this position is unpaid, as AEN is a non-profit organization and cannot offer financial retribution at this stage. Most of the work will be done online through the AEN’s intranet, remote control system, and emails.
- Program Management
- Cross-cultural Communication
- Verbal / Written Communication
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- 7 hours/week