Volunteers will assist in teaching JAVA, one of several tech courses offered at RETC every Saturday. This is a year long course aimed at preparing students to be Oracle certified. The material is aimed at those who do not necessarily have a coding background and so will start by creating a foundation that will be gradually built upon throughout the year.
- Answer questions from students.
- Promote a productive classroom dynamic by managing potentially disruptive behaviour.
- Help with setup and/or cleanup as necessary.
- Expertise with JAVA
- Comfortable working with adults
- Verbal communication skills
- Cultural sensitivity
- Foreign language skills are not required but are helpful
- Two hours each Saturday from 1pm - 3pm.
- Courses last twelve months; the current cohort will finish in Aug 2018.
The volunteer will have the opportunity to learn more about refugees and skills such as classroom management, public speaking, and presentation. Volunteers will also have the chance to network with other professionals in various tech-related fields from different companies, such as Adobe.
- The amount of material each student completes.
- Number of students who become certified.
- Number of students who go on to pursue field-related employment opportunities.
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment