Volunteers will assist in teaching JAVA, one of several tech courses offered at RETC every Saturday. This is a year long course aimed at preparing students to be Oracle certified. The material is aimed at those who do not necessarily have a coding background and so will start by creating a foundation that will be gradually built upon throughout the year.
- Meet with student weekly, either in person or online
- Help student with their weekly homework assignments and class projects.
- Expertise with JAVA
- Comfortable working with adults
- Verbal communication skills
- Cultural sensitivity
- Passed background check ($10 fee - if the fee is a problem please let us know)
- Foreign language skills are not required but are helpful
- Volunteers may be of any gender, but we are currently in need of a woman to mentor one of our female students.
- 1-3 hours a week, depending on the needs of the mentee.
- Courses last twelve months; the current cohort will finish in Aug 2018.
The volunteer will have the opportunity to learn more about refugees and skills such as classroom management, public speaking, and presentation. Volunteers will also have the chance to network with other professionals in various tech-related fields from different companies, such as Adobe.
- The amount of material each student completes.
- Number of students who become certified.
- Number of students who go on to pursue field-related employment opportunities.
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- 1-3 hours per week for a year until Aug 2018