Wednesday Night Dinner (5th Wednesday of Each Month)
- A group opportunity. Invite your friends.
8 people are interested
Volunteer Position: Wednesday Night Dinner Volunteer(s)/ 5 th Wednesday of Each Month
Department: Community Programs
Wednesday Night Dinner volunteers offer a much needed break to our Safe Shelter residents by donating, preparing and setting out dinner on pre-scheduled nights of the month. This opportunity is essential for creating a welcoming atmosphere for our clients and their children whom are fleeing abuse. It is a great way to serve in an informal and friendly setting!
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Plan, prepare, and present dinner to 15-20 adults and children
- Provide any paper goods necessary for the meal (plates, bowls, utensils, etc.)
- Must be able to follow the below timeline:
4pm - Volunteers arrive and set up the already prepared meal to offer clients
5pm - Clients arrive and dinner begins
5:30pm - Dinner ends, clients thank volunteers, and clean up begins
5:35pm - All dinner items have been removed from set up area
6pm or earlier - All left overs and supplies have been put away and kitchen cleaned
*Please note this is a volunteer and in-kind donation opportunity
OTHER KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Passion for individuals, families and community members affected by domestic violence
- Ability to organize a group (no larger than 6) to come together to make and set out dinner
- Flexibility in serving dinner to a rapidly changing group size
- A commitment to helping staff create a safe, warm and welcoming space for clients before they embark on hard self-work during their support group that directly follows dinner
- Strictly adhere to the confidentiality and safety needs of our clients
- Models language and behavior that is inclusive and respectful of all people
- A compassionate, non-judgmental, proactive attitude
- Demonstrated commitment to the mission, vision and values of the YWCA Pierce County
- Acceptable Washington State Patrol Criminal History Record
- Must complete DV101 training within first 6 months of volunteering
- All volunteers must be 16 years of age or older
This opportunity occurs on the fifth Wednesday of a given month from 4 PM-6 PM. Not all months have a fifth Wednesday. YWCA requires volunteers to commit to at least six consecutive months in this position.
Please submit an online volunteer submission form expressing your interest in this position.
We'll work with your schedule.
405 BroadwayTacoma, WA 98402
- Cooking / Catering
- Mental Health
- Food Service
- Social Work
- Family Therapy
- Background Check
- Must be at least 16
- Orientation or Training
- Six months.