18 people are interested
LSS-SW is seeking volunteers who want to be matched with a refugee individual who needs additional assistance adjusting to life in the United States.
Three different programs offer mentorship opportunities with people from refugee backgrounds.
The volunteer mentor will be placed in one of the mentorship programs based on their skills, interests, and abilities.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Meet with your mentee at least once a week for two hours (most refugees live in west Phoenix)
- Commit to mentorship for 6 months - 1 year
- Act as a bridge to the mainstream American community
- Respect the traditions, culture, and religion of the person you work with
- Be flexible and able to meet with the refugee based on their schedule
- Support your client on their path to self-sufficiency (being able to support themselves in the US)
- Give regular updates about the mentee’s progress to the assigned staff supervisor.
The volunteer will set their own hours based on when they can meet with their mentee.Clearances Required & Training
Must have a Fingerprint Clearance Card ($65). Volunteers are responsible for the cost. Must attend volunteer orientation and complete mentorship training before being matched with a mentee.
Location and Timeframe
Mentors must commit to at least 6 months of contact with their mentee, meeting at least once per week for two hours.
If you are interested in this role please fill out our online application so that a staff member can give you a call with more details, answer any questions you have, and make sure it is a good fit for you or your group: http://bttr.im/vhj24
We'll work with your schedule.
2502 E. University Dr., Suite #125Phoenix, AZ 85034
- Teaching / Instruction
- People Skills
- Problem Solving
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- Relationship Building
- People 55+
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Volunteer should commit for at least 6 months.
- This role requires a level one fingerprint clearance card.