78 people are interested
As a response to the language needs of the Boston Housing Authority (BHA) community, the Language Access Team under the BHA Center of Community Engagement and Civil Rights has established the Volunteer Interpreters Program (VIP). The purpose of VIP is to recruit and train bilingual/multilingual volunteers who can provide interpretation and translation services for Boston families of limited English proficiency applying for or are residents of public or subsidized housing.
What will I be doing?
- Volunteers will serve as interpreters during BHA hearings, eligibility screenings, resident meetings, walk-in inquiries, Wellness Connect sessions (at the housing developments), and phone interviews.
- Volunteers who are interested in gaining skills in written translations may also assist in translation housing documents, or in reviewing and editing written translations for accuracy
- MUST be local to the Boston area!
- Must be 18 years old or older
- Candidates are highly motivated individuals with excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Highly proficient in English and fluent in any of (but not limited to) the following languages: Albanian, Amharic, Arabic, Bosnian, Cape Verdean, Chinese (Mandarin or Cantonese), Farsi, French, Haitian- Creole, Hindi, Khmer, Polish, Portuguese, Punjabi, Russian, Somali, Spanish, and Vietnamese.
Where will I be serving?
Mainly in our main office located at 52 Chauncy St, 9th Floor, Boston MA 02111.
What will it be like to volunteer here?
- You will serve on an on-call basis (meaning we call you to see if you are free to help with translation)
- If we need your help in the office, we will send you a notification around a week or two in advance
- Volunteers will receive training and orientation
- There is no minimum or maximum time commitment as a volunteer! Any time you can put in to help us and the residents is greatly appreciated!
We'll work with your schedule.
52 Chauncy St.9th FloorBoston, MA 02111
- People Skills
- Cross-cultural Communication
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Community Outreach
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Resume and Online Application