We are in need of tutors on our residential campus Monday - Thursday from 4:30pm-5:30pm -You may sign up for as many spots as work in your schedule. We recommend at least once per week. Our boys range from age 7-17 and need help with math (basic -Algebra) and English. Here are some basic guidelines you will need to be aware of while working with our residents.
- Don’t be intimidated by the academic content: most of our residents are functioning below grade level and their assignments have been simplified for them. Many times the residents just want someone sitting next to them for positive feedback and words of encouragement.
- Residents must be with agency employees (teachers or youth specialists) at all times. You will not be asked to work alone with a resident.
- Our residents have been through a variety of traumatic experiences prior to their arrival at MCHS. They may share some personal information with you as you build rapport, and this information must remain confidential. Please don’t ask personal questions such as "Why are you here?" or "When are you going home?"
- Volunteers should only be on campus during scheduled volunteer hours, and they are prohibited from contacting residents outside of their scheduled hours.
- Many times it is difficult to say 'good-bye’ to a resident who is being discharged, but volunteers are prohibited from contacting residents who have left MCHS.
- MCHS staff is trained in crisis prevention and intervention techniques. Volunteers are not to intervene in any crisis situations.
- Please refrain from giving out personal information, such as phone number, address, where you work, etc.
- Please do not tell the residents if you are considering fostering or adopting youth.
- We appreciate if you:
- Sit next to a child to encourage him and assist with work from tutoring folder or homework
- Pass out papers
- Set-up for activities and help clean up afterwards
- Call/email the supervisor if you are unable to come in.
- Literacy / Reading
- Reading Comprehension
- Reading / Writing
Good Match For
People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Minimum 1 hour / week