Seeking Bloggers (Volunteers) for New Women New Yorkers!
Are you passionate about women's issues and immigrants, and eager to learn more about New York City’s neighborhoods and communities?
We are seeking a savvy wordsmith(s) to join our blogging team. Candidates must have a knack and love for writing, and will be expected to sustain and develop New Women New Yorkers’ voice across all blog content.
This is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual who is passionate about New Women New Yorkers’ mission, and who would like to gain experience and participate in the growth of a young, dynamic nonprofit organization.
Mission of New Women New Yorkers
New Women New Yorkers (NWNY) is a cross-community nonprofit empowering young women immigrants in New York City. For more information, please visit our website and blog at www.nywomenimmigrants.org .
Essential duties and responsibilities
- Come up with a variety of topic ideas for blog posts and work with other members of the New Women New Yorkers blog team to brainstorm
- Conduct research for blog posts, including searching for information online, reading other blogs, conducting field trips, meetings, and interviews
- Write various types of blog posts, including in particular, but not limited to, posts about NYC’s immigrant neighborhoods and communities, and portraits and interviews of women immigrants
- If interested, could develop other types of content for blog, including photo galleries, short videos, and infographics
Desired skills and experience
- Excellent writing skills, and a bility to write in an engaging conversational style that will appeal to a wide readership and be accessible to the non-specialist
- Passion and understanding of NWNY’s mission and purposes
- Previous blogging/social media experience preferred, but not required
- Strong verbal communication skills
- Self-motivated, ability to take initiative, and to work independently
- Be reliable and responsible, and have a good track record of meeting deadlines
- Fluency in another language is a plus, but not required
Bloggers are requested to write at least 1 blog post every six weeks.
The volunteer is also expected to communicate as needed via email and/or phone with NWNY’s blog manager and editor(s), and attend occasional trainings and meetings for volunteers.
How to apply
Contact: Abbey, Volunteer Coordinator, email@example.com
Please send your resume and write a brief cover email describing your background and experience, explaining why you want to become a blogger for New Women New Yorkers, and any ideas you have for the blog. Also, attach a few samples of your work, so we can get an idea of your voice.
- Copy Writing / Copy Editing
- Social Media / Blogging
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18