Become an advocate for an abused or neglected child in foster care
WhenIt's flexible! We'll work with your schedule.
Where6811 Kenilworth AvenueSuite 402Riverdale, MD 20737
Are you looking to make a difference in the life of abused or abandoned children in your community? Are you ready to become an advocate for a child in need? There are over 500 youth in foster care in Prince George’s County at any given time. Court Appointed Special Advocate (CASA) is looking for compassionate and motivated individuals ready to fulfill their potential to serve the community by being trained on becoming an advocate for the youth. Our goal is for every youth in foster care to have a Court Appointed Special Advocate on their team. If you want to join the CASA community and advocate for youth in foster care, we are looking for you!
Qualifications and Requirements:
● Must be at least 21 years of age or older
● Ability to pass background screening Criminal Background Check; Driving Record Check; Child Abuse Registry Check; Social Security Number verification; National Sex Offender Registry; Reference Checks (3)
● Ability to attend 37-hour pre-service training
● One year or one case commitment to the program
● Ability to commit 10-15 hours per month to case, including visiting the child at least twice per month and regular meetings with Case Supervisor
● Acceptance of a case assignment after completion of preservice training.
● Pre-service training:
- 37 hours in classroom
- 1 day of courtroom observation
- In-service training:
- Flexible Schedule
- 10 to 15 hrs/ month
- 2 visits/ month with youth
- Case Supervision 1x/every 6 weeks
- Court Hearings 2x/year dependent on case
- 12 hrs of continuing education/1 year
Application and Training:
● To apply, please visit www.pgcasa.org/become-a-volunteer.
● To be considering for the next training session, you must apply, attend an in-person interview, and be accepted into training.
● Training is held the Winter, Spring, Summer, and Fall seasons.
● Email email@example.com for more information or check out www.pgcasa.org!
● Our next training will begin Thursday, April 9th, runs on Monday and Thursday evenings from 6 to 9pm, and 2 additional trainings are provided for volunteers assigned to youth 14 or older. It will take place at 6811 Kenilworth Avenue, Riverdale, MD 20737.
If you would like to learn more about the volunteer role, you are encouraged to attend our information session on February 20th, 2018 at 6pm.
Location - 6811 Kenilworth Avenue, Riverdale, MD 20737.
RSVP to Volunteer@pgcasa.org
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
CASA volunteers ensure that the court and child welfare systems remain focused on the specific needs of individual youth, so that these needs, including the need for safety and permanency, are addressed expeditiously.
CASA volunteers serve as investigators, mentors, recorders, and ultimately advocates.
CASA volunteers visit their youth at least 2 times per month, and their case supervisors once every 6 to 8 weeks.
This is a unique chance to become invested in your community by spending time with a youth in foster care and advocating for his or her best interests in court. You will be offered 4 weeks of training to become an advocate. You could help create and ensure better outcomes for a youth in need by being a part of his or her team. For more information, please visit our website at www.pgcasa.org or call 301-209-0491.
Brianna Tiedeman - firstname.lastname@example.org
Marketing and Recruitment Coordinator
Court Appointed Special Advocate (CASA)/ Prince George’s County, Inc
6811 Kenilworth Ave, Suite 402
Riverdale MD, 20737
- Child Welfare
- Child Advocacy
- Problem Solving
- Relationship Building
- Youth Services
Good Match For
People 55+ Group
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- 12-15 hours per month
- Looking for bilingual child...
- Bi-lingual Child Advocates Needed!
- Work With Older Youth in Foster...
- Do you want to advocate for...
- Become a Positive Male Role...
- Support LGBTQ Youth in Foster...
- Become an advocate for an abused...
- Improve the life of a youth in...
- Do you want to be an advocate...
- Join the Court Appointed Special...
- Role-models wanted for young men...