Are you retired from the military or are you from a military family? Want to do something fun and challenging with other awesome people? Want to serve again and keep doing something that matters? Become part of a new community with a chance to gain experience, skills, and connections for a job or school application. Keep serving your country and make a real difference in peoples’ lives.
Serving in AmeriCorps can help veterans or military family members step into civilian life. You and 19 other veterans or military family members will serve together in the AmeriCorps "Operation: Veteran Connect"program to get things done for America by helping Tampa Bay area veterans. Seniors in Service of Tampa Bay, in partnership with James A. Haley Veterans Hospital, seeks to engage veterans and members of military families as AmeriCorps members to help other veterans and military families access benefits and services. AmeriCorps Members serving through Operation: Veteran Connect bring their own talents and gain valuable new skills to support the VA’s exciting, new Whole Health initiative, an approach to health care that empowers people to take charge of their well-being and live their life to the fullest.
Outreach Educator Specialist
As an AmeriCorps Member serving through Operation: Veteran Connect, you will gain valuable skills while giving back to your community. In this highly visible role, the Member will support the launch of the VA Hospital's new Whole Health initiative. Members will be trained to serve Veterans at the VA Hospital, Clinics, and/or Community Living Center. Member duties include helping Veterans:
- navigate, answer questions about and explain benefits of the My HealtheVet program to ensure their basic health needs
- sign up and navigate the My HealtheVet website using the My HealtheVet kiosks
- file benefit claims on eBenefits
- check-in for appointments at kiosks and direct them to appointment locations
- Veteran or Military Family Member
- Must be available to provide 20+ service hours weekly (total of 900 by July 31,2018)
- High school graduate or GED recipient
- Member must pass a TB Tine test
- Member must pass a National Criminal History Background check to include an FBI background check via fingerprints, a local background check, and their name run through the National Sex Offender database ( www.nsopw.gov). This is contingent on any Member beginning their service year.
- $390.00 monthly living allowance ($360.16 net + $29.84 FICA) for half-time service hours. Note: Amount is pre-tax and paid monthly.
- $2,907.50 Educational Award contingent upon successful completion of service.
- Student loan forbearance and interest payments, if the Member qualifies
- Meal ticket voucher(s) with daily minimum service hours
- Free annual flu shot and TB test
- Veteran Care
- People Skills
- Relationship Building
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 20+ hours required each week, shifts between 8A-5P
- Must be a Veteran or Military Family Member
- United Food Bank Volunteer Support
- Do you have a passion for...
- Help deliver a meal to a home...
- Support Students of Hillsborough...
- Do you have a passion to help...
- AmeriCorps Operation: Veteran...
- RSVP Mentor A Teen Mom
- Come share your technical...
- Volunteers Needed for Income Tax...
- Lets feed the homeless together
- Do you want to see kids going to...
- Senior Companions Needed in your...
- RSVP Help Students Get To College
- RSVP Help the At Risk Youth!!...
- RSVP Support individuals with...
- RSVP Support A Homeless Family...
- AmeriCorps Operation: Veteran...
- Be a Hero to your Community!!!