Become a Brighton/Commerce City Police Department Volunteer Victim Advocate!
16 people are interested
The Brighton and Commerce City Police Department Victim Services Unit is currently accepting applications for volunteer victim advocates.
Volunteer advocates provide on-scene contact with victims and witnesses of violent crime, sudden death, and other emergency situations. They provide immediate crisis intervention, individual and family support, information about the criminal justice system, support agency referrals, aid in acquiring emergency shelter, as well as facilitate other immediate needs of victims.
Brighton and Commerce City Victim Advocates are here to provide information, support, referrals, comfort, compassion, and caring to crime victim and their families. As experienced active listeners, advocates will assist victims in sorting through the confusing thoughts they may experience. Advocates will help victims regain control by encouraging them to manage one part of the problem at a time, as well as to prepare and predict what is next.
Requirements: Each volunteer is required to volunteer a minimum of TWO 12-hour shifts per month, including evenings, weekends, and occasional holidays. Volunteers are required to respond within 30 minutes of dispatch contact.
In order to participate, volunteers must:
* Be at least 21 years of age
* Be able to undergo and pass a background investigation
* Be a holder of a valid Colorado driver’s license with a good record
* Be compassionate and non-judgmental with victims of crime
* Be able to maintain confidentiality
* Have strong interpersonal skills
* Have self-motivation * Be able to perform under emotional and adverse conditions
* Be able to respond to a variety of different locations
* Be willing to commit to at least 12 months
* Be able to consistently attend the monthly volunteer meeting
* Bilingual is an asset, but not required
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
We'll work with your schedule.
3401 E Bromley LnBrighton, CO 80601
- People Skills
- Crisis Intervention
- Relationship Building
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- At least 1 year. Four 12-hour shifts per month.
- Please check your junk mail for a response if you do not hear back from someone within 48 hours