Please visit the Free Clinics Web Site at https://freeclinics.org/volunteer/ for more information and to complete the online application form. Further questions please contact Vicky at 360-313-1389
Interpreters are needed during open clinic hours to assist our Russian-speaking patients, including interpreting at the front desk during patient check‐in, patient triage, over the phone, and interpreting between nurses, providers and patients in exam rooms. This is a very important position. Without interpreters, patients with limited English might not get the appropriate care that they desperately need.
Urgent Care Clinic hrs: Mon/Wed/Fri 9:00am - 12:00pm Tues/Thurs 5:30pm - 9:30pm Vision Clinic Hours: Monday 5:30pm - 8:00pm Immunization Clinic Hours: 1st and third Wednesdays 5:00 pm - 7:30 pm Dental Clinic -Schedule Varies
Shadow training observations of an experienced volunteer. Ongoing support is provided during each clinic by the Clinic Director or other designated staff.
- Fluent in Russian and English.
- Ability to maintain patient confidentiality.
- Ability to engage patients with respect and compassion.
- Conscientious about interpreting exactly what the patient says, feeling confident enough to ask for clarification from either the doctor or the patient.
- An understanding of, and alertness to, cultural context and how it may influence spoken language. Dependability and timeliness.
- Minimum commitment of one shift a month for a year.
- Minimum 18 years old.
- Medically related vocabulary and/or experience is preferred, but not required.
- We encourage volunteers to do some research about medical interpretation in clinical settings.
Current volunteers describe a number of benefits:
The satisfaction of helping your community when there are so many people who would otherwise not receive health care needs.
Experience translating in a clinical setting.
Working with patients who daily, in writing and vocally, express gratitude for the care you provide.
For further information please visit our website at www.freeclinics.org/volunteer or contact the volunteer coordinator at email@example.com 360-313-1389
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training