Prepare + Prosper (P+P) provides free tax assistance and financial services to low income Minnesotans. We need you to help us provide these services to help people move from "getting by" to "getting ahead"!
What will I be doing as a FINANCIAL ADVOCATE?
The financial advocate (FA) strives to help customers boost their financial knowledge, confidence and habits. The financial advocate will work one-on-one with customers at Prepare + Prosper’s (P+P) tax clinics to discuss their individual financial goals to offer support and access to applicable financial products, services and referrals with a focus on saving. Background in finances is not required; we will train you to be successful in your role!
General time commitment:
We are currently looking for volunteers to help us in our summer tax clinics that run June - October 2018. Steps to becoming a summer volunteer:
- Attend an info session to learn about the organization, volunteer role, and impact in our community. Info sessions will be held on May 12th (9 am), May 17th (6 pm), and May 22nd (6 pm).
- Complete the required in-person training.
- Volunteer one, 4-hour shift per week from June through August, or twice per month from June - October.
2610 University Ave W.
Saint Paul, MN 55114
Role and responsibilities:
- Help participants gain clarity and develop action steps designed to achieve their financial goals
- Offer support, resources and encouragement to guide customers to their own answers
- Process prepaid debit cards, credit reports, U.S. savings bonds and savings accounts
- Ability to respect customers’ financial decisions and actions without judgement
- An engaging personality and ability to connect with customers
- Enjoy working in a diverse ethnic and socio-economic environment
- Empathetic and understanding of the financial challenges facing low-income adults
- Experience with financial services such as financial education or counseling helpful, but not required!
- People Skills
- Financial Literacy
- Financial Service Assistance
- Customer Service
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training