Prepare + Prosper (P+P) provides free tax assistance and financial services to low income Minnesotans. We need you to help us provide these services to help people move from "getting by" to "getting ahead"!
What will I be doing as a TAX PREPARER?
The individual tax preparer works one-on-one with Prepare + Prosper (P+P) customers to prepare state and federal tax returns. By doing this they help the customer access important tax credits like the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC). Preparers also serve as a trusted (and free) resource, ensuring customers file correctly.
General time commitment:
We are currently looking for volunteers to help us in our summer tax clinics that run June - October 2018. Steps to becoming a summer volunteer:
- Attend an info session to learn about the organization, volunteer role, and impact in our community. Info sessions will be held on May 12th (9 am), May 17th (6 pm), and May 22nd (6 pm).
- Complete the required in-person training.
- Volunteer one, 4-hour shift per week from June through August, or twice per month from June - October.
2610 University Ave W.
Saint Paul, MN 55114
Role and responsibilities:
- Prepare state and federal tax returns using tax software called TaxSlayer
- Direct appropriate customers to on-site financial services
- Work cooperatively with staff and other volunteers to provide high-quality service to customers
- Maintain customer confidentiality, providing as much privacy as possible
- Knowledge of basic income tax preparation and meet one of the following criteria:
- Experience filing your own tax return
- Taken a tax law or income tax accounting course at the college level
- Work in the accounting field
- Ability to effectively communicate and engage with customers
- Computer proficient
- Enjoy working in a diverse ethnic and socio-economic environment
- ETC / Tax Assistance
- Customer Service
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training