2 people are interested
The Civil Air Patrol seeks volunteers with an interest in assisting our units in saving and managing documents and artifacts of historical significance.Civil Air Patrol, the official auxiliary of the U.S. Air Force, is a nonprofit organization with 58,000 members nationwide. In its Air Force Auxiliary role, CAP performs about 85% of the continental U.S. inland search and rescue missions. It's unpaid professionals also perform homeland security, disaster relief and drug interdiction missions at the request of federal , state and local agencies. The members play a leading role in aerospace education and serve as mentors to more than 24,000 young people currently participating in CAP's Cadet Program. Visit www.capvolunteernow.com for more information.
The Civil Air Patrol- Group 3 has fourteen units in the Tampa Bay area. Our units are dedicated to assisting our local community through a myriad of emergency services and operational missions. We also focus on teaching a new generation about aerospace and its impact on our future. A variety of other positions are available as well.
Location: 14 locations across Hillsborough, Pinellas, Polk, Pasco, Hernando & Citrus County
Time Commitment: 10-15 hours per month
- Researching and creating articles, reports or other projects that inform members and the public about the history of CAP and the local units
- Produce the unit's annual history
- Assisting the Public Affairs Officer in managing content on social media accounts
- Assisting the squadron in saving and managing documents and artifacts of historical significance
- Taking and preserving photographs to document squadron activities
- Conducting oral history interviews with long-standing and former members
- mentoring cadets assigned to or interested in history-related duty positions
- Familiarizing themselves with the organization, mission, publications and policies of the Civil Air Patrol
- Regularly attend weekly squadron meetings, held on Thursday evenings from 6:00-9:00 PM
- Background or strong interest in history, journalism and/or museums
- Those possessing or working toward academic degrees in these areas are particularly encouraged to apply, but this is not a requirement.
- Strong writing, editing and public speaking skills
- Age 18 or older
- Willingness to become a member of the Civil Air Patrol and comply with all internal regulations and procedures
- Ability to pass a background check
- Enthusiasm for community service and working with youth
- Access to historical and leadership training opportunities
- Formal recognition of training, qualification and experience through CAP's Historian Specialty Track
- Training and mentoring available from the Wing, Region and National Historians
- Networking and training at Wing, Region & National Conferences
- Opportunity to publish items in CAP's National History Journal, a quarterly publication featuring articles and scholarly works
In addition to position specific duties, all members are encouraged to participate in Civil Air Patrol's Emergency Services, Aerospace education and cadet Program missions. A wide variety of Emergency Services and other training opportunities are available if desired, though participation is not required.
To apply, please email a letter of interest to Lt. James Chamberland at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line "CAP-HISTORIAN".
We'll work with your schedule.
Polk County Composite Squadron40 N Lake Idylwild Dr.Winter Haven, FL 33881
- Copy Writing / Copy Editing
- Public Speaking
- Reading / Writing
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 10-15 hours per month
- Willingness to become a member of the Civil Air Patrol and comply with all regulations & procedures.