COA:Citizen Science Advocate
5 people are interested
JerseySTEM is an all volunteers grassroots non-profit agency dedicated to bridging the Innovation Gap, the Opportunity Gap and the Gender Gap in STEM education. We provide free of charge after-school, project-based, hands-on, team structures programs in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math to underserved students in New Jersey. Classes include: Robotics, Coding, Engineering, Life Sciences, etc. and are focused on kids grade 5-8. The programs last 10 weeks and are taught predominantly by volunteer college students that we recruit, train, transport and mentor as they donate 2 hours/week to the program.The Citizen Science Advocate will research potential subjects that could be introduced to the JerseySTEM community comprised of 5,000 families. The subjects need to be appropriate for students in grades 5-8 and require less than 2 hours per week of activity. The duration of the project could be determined (5, 10, 20, 25) weeks or ongoing.
SKILLS and COMPETENCIES Required:
- Research topics of interest
- Co-ordinate with the volunteers and head of R & D
- Produce a one-page project proposal highlighting project goals, cost, and educational value
- Provide a kick-off workshop to daily citizen educators who will run daily
- Interest in science and engineering
- Willingness to learn about educational standards (NGSS and Common Core)
- Provide oversight and support
Minimum hours 2-20 hours per week
We'll work with your schedule.
This is a Virtual Opportunity, with no fixed address.
- Math / Science Instruction
- Teaching / Instruction
- 2-20 hours per week