The New York Shakespeare Exchange (NYSX) Board of Directors consists of a group of professionals who are just as passionate about the conversations that stem from the intersections of art, culture and Shakespeare’s works as they are about helping grow a small non-profit organization through innovative marketing. Over our nine years of programming, we have seen a great deal of artistic success. We have staged eight main stage productions, four workshops, countless pub crawls, developed The Sonnet Project in New York City, the United States and internationally, and have taught students at every level on the power of Shakespeare’s works.
We are poised to transform our organization from a part-time, artist-driven company into a full-time, fully-staffed business that can support the artistic growth we are ready for. To do that, we need a group of people who are as passionate about our mission as we are.
Specifically, we are looking for individuals with experience and expertise in nonprofit revenue generation (fundraising, partnership/sponsorship development, grant writing, overall development), education, arts programming, and/or community development.
The ideal candidate should also possess
- An understanding of and commitment to NYSX's mission.
- A philanthropic spirit, dedicated work ethic, and appreciation for the arts.
- Integrity, dependability,
- A social and approachable nature, with the ability to build and sustain relationships.
- Governance: Steer NYSX toward a sustainable future of fulfilling its mission.
- Fulfill legal duties and fiduciary responsibilities of a Director with staff input:
- Maintain the organization’s mission, vision, and values
- Set policies and strategies
- Review outcomes and impacts
- Invest the time to fully understand NYSX’s work
- Regularly attend NYSX productions
- Develop staff relationships
- Participate in monthly Board meetings
- Engage in thoughtful dialogue & debate
- Ask good (sometimes tough) questions 2. Fundraising: Ensure NYSX has adequate resources to advance its mission.
- Actively support fundraising efforts by stewarding current donors and cultivating prospective donors
- Directly contribute funds
- Follow the NYSX fundraising methodology:
- Attend to our existing high-value donors through regular outreach
- Be a consistent ambassador for NYSX in personal and professional contexts
- Formally advocate with partners, institutions and individual donors
- Introduce prospective donors to our Askers
- Make an impact
- Your time, experiences, skills and financial contributions will directly contribute to achieving the NYSX mission.
- Gain valuable career and leadership experience
- Develop professional skills.
- Serve on a Board of Directors.
- Grow a non-profit business.
- Contribute to the work of an innovative theatre company.
- Expand your network
- Develop relationships with your fellow NYSX Board members, Momentum Council volunteers and the NYSX staff.
- Help make art happen
- Gain behind-the-scenes access to a theatre company and its various programming.
- Business Development & Sales Management
- Grant Writing / Research
- Relationship Building
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment