Founded in 2006, the Libertas Center for Human Rights, located at Elmhurst Hospital, provides comprehensive medical, mental health, social and legal services to address the multifaceted needs of immigrants throughout New York City who have survived torture and serious human rights violations.
The Libertas Center is seeking a volunteer to assist Libertas Center staff with a range of case management support work, including administrative, communication, and research duties. We estimate the role to be 1 day per week, on-site.
Duties and Responsibilities (Other/different roles may be added):
- Schedules and changes follow-up meetings and sends reminders. Provides additional follow-up related support.
- Inputs follow-up data into database.
- Ensures communication with client’s lawyers to track application dates, documentation requests and deadlines. Assists with scheduling of clinical forensic evaluations. Enters/updates relevant information in database.
- Helps support clients’ recruitment for alternative therapy services.
- Supports Libertas staff as needed.
BA, BS minimum.
Second language preferred (Spanish, Bangla, Russian, French); experience working with phone and in-person interpreters.
Ability to multi-task and successfully meet responsibilities with professionalism.
Familiarity with issues facing New York’s immigrant communities.
Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills.
Non-judgmental, compassionate, culturally sensitive approach and ability to empathize with others.
Strong commitment to human rights work and to the Libertas Center’s mission.
Familiarity and comfort/interest working with immigrant populations with complex trauma in a social and/or health services setting.
Please email your resume and a cover letter outlining your relevant experience and suitability for the role to email@example.com. Please write Program Support Volunteer in the subject line.
- Data Entry
- Program Management
- Immigration Law
- Case Work / Management
- Administrative Support
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Orientation or Training
- 1 day/week on-site