Help break the cycle of illiteracy and poverty by tutoring an adult student at the YWCA!
The YWCA's 'Positive Transitions' program is an adult education program that offers Adult Literacy, GED preparation, and Career Readiness activities. We currently have a great need for volunteers to tutor our students in the Basic Math and Reading skills and GED content areas of math (up to algebra level), reading, writing, science, and social studies.
A qualified tutor would be committed, energetic, patient, an excellent communicator, and proficient through the high school level in the subject(s) he/she wishes to tutor. The tutor's duties would include:
1. Working one-on-one or in small groups with an adult student(s) on basic academic material to improve learner's comprehension and application of material learned in class
2. Update YWCA teachers on your learner's progress
3. Work with YWCA teachers and staff to create an appropriate learning plan for their student
Our students attend classes Monday through Thursday. Tutors are needed during day and evening hours, weekdays and weekend. The minimum time commitment is one hour a week, although you are welcome to meet with your tutee more often!
Time and location are flexible, depending on your student(s)! Must meet in a public location and exchange contact information with student.
- Literacy / Reading
- Adult Education
- Math / Science Instruction
- Teaching / Instruction
- Reading / Writing
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- one hour a week for three months
- Proficient in subject area; flexible; patient; reliable; creative; organized; excellent communicator