Purpose of Position
- Complete and submit year-end financial reports for the Chapter and a Consolidated report with Groups. Ensure that revenues and expenses for the Chapter and its entities are organized in the format defined by the Finance Department.
- Segregate [501(c)(4)] funds and Political Action Committee (PAC) funds into separate bank accounts. Forward tax-dTo assist the Treasurer to provide oversight of the finances for the Utah Chapter and Groups.
- To serve as a liaison between the Chapter and its entities and the Finance Department regarding financial matters.
- eductible [501(c)(3)] donations directly to the Sierra Club Foundation for deposit into Chapter account.
- Review invoices and other payment requests for accuracy, forward to Treasurer for payment. Reconcile bank statements monthly.
- Request reimbursement from the Sierra Club Foundation for any 501(c)(3) expenditures.
- Help to ensure your successor has the necessary training to make the transition as easy as possible.
For Audit purposes, maintain records for 10 years in both printouts and digital (CD) formats:
- General accounting records, including an account ledger or computer file printout of all financial transactions of the entity(s) are recorded with the correct balance of all accounts.
- Accounts payable records, including invoices, check stubs and receipts, which should provide a complete and accurate record of all expenditures including the nature of payment or purchase, the account to be charged, indication that it was posted, and notation of its cancellation and return by the bank.
- Banking records, including canceled checks, deposit slips, reconciled bank statements.
- Budgets, financial reports, financial correspondence, contracts and ExCom actions.
- A list of contributions, recorded by donors' names, and restrictions, if any.
- A list of all grants received, and grants to other entities from the chapter’s Foundation account(s), their purpose and restrictions.
The Assistant Treasurer has resources including the Treasurer Training Manual , and Executive Summary Timeline aka Year in the Life of a Treasurer available on the Finance Home page in Clubhouse ( http://clubhouse.sierraclub.org/administration/finance/ ; user: clubhouse; password: explore).
- Financial Auditing
- Reporting & Dashboards
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- 5-10 hours/week