Salmon in the Schools "Tank Angel"
WhenIt's flexible! We'll work with your schedule.
Where33325 8th Ave SFederal Way, WA 98003
Federal Way Public Schools participate in the Salmon in the Schools Program. It is a wonderful opportunity for students to experience rearing Pacific salmon from egg to fry stage, then releasing them into a nearby water way. Our goal is for students to not only help rear salmon but to also develop an understanding of salmon biology, habitat, stewardship, and the importance of salmon to Pacific Northwest culture and commerce.
We are looking for volunteers to assist teachers with tank maintenance and troubleshooting throughout the school year.
- Help teachers set up tanks in the their classrooms (Oct)
- Troubleshoot tank issues and repair if necessary (materials provided) (ongoing throughout school year)
- Clean tanks regularly (ongoing throughout school year)
- Help prepare salmon for transport to release site (May)
We are looking for people to either "adopt" one school, or be available for a couple of schools. Volunteers with tank experience are preferred, although we are able to provide training if necessary.
- Animal Care / Handling
- Aquarium Maintenance
- Environmental Education
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Time commitment will vary, but about 5 hours/week.