Communications and Event Intern
Ethiopian Community Development Council
Job Summary - Intern will work closely with ECDC program and development staff to document services, plan events, and expand online presence.
- Assist in planning community and fundraising events, including donor outreach.
- Design flyers, invites, and other media material for ECDC events.
- Support all ECDC programs, documenting services.
- Update online social media accounts on a weekly basis.
- Create monthly newsletter.
- Manage client files and track necessary services.
- Maintain open and direct communication with the resettlement manager and other ECDC staff.
- May include some case management trouble-shooting (assisting with food stamps, Medicaid, medical appointments, housing, and other issues that may arise)
- Assist the program manager and resettlement team with other tasks as directed.
Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (Present by Internship Completion or Before):
- Current undergraduate or recent graduate required.
- Foreign language proficiency a plus.
- Commitment to mission: to help refugees rebuild safe, sustainable lives through supportive networks of people, services and community activities.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Previous experience related to communications a plus.
- Computer skills (Word, Excel, Publisher, social media) required.
- Use of personal computer and vehicle a plus.
- Intercultural communication skills and experience a plus.
- Interest in working in a multicultural environment.
- Knowledgeable about and sensitive to the experiences of refugees and immigrants.
- Computer skills (Microsoft Office Suite). Proficiency in Word, Excel, Outlook, and Internet use.
- Background check and clean DMV record.
- Understanding of the timelines and processes refugees go through from arrival-5 years.
- Increased intercultural communication competency.
- Exposure to non-profit operations and environment.
- Exposure to non-profit event planning.
- Knowledge of marginalized populations - challenges and opportunities.
- Experience working with limited English proficiency populations.
- Knowledge of refugee benefits systems.
Please submit a (1) cover letter, (2) resume, and (3) writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications are considered on a first come, first served rolling basis.
About Ethiopian Community Development Council
8121 Georgia Avenue, Suite 800, Silver Spring, MD 20910, US
ECDC's mission is to resettle refugees, promote cultural, educational, and socioeconomic development in the refugee and immigrant community in the United States, and conduct humanitarian and development programs in the Horn of Africa. To pursue this mission, ECDC: provides programs and services that assist newcomers to the country become productive members of their new American communities fosters greater understanding among newcomers and the wider community conducts outreach and education activities to increase public awareness about refugee and immigrant issues promotes African community-based organizations increase their capacity to serve their local communities promotes civic participation by newcomers in the decision-making process at the local, state, and national levels provides cross-cultural training to service providers' on the diverse cultural backgrounds of the clients they work with assists in educational development and cultural preservation projects in Ethiopia
ECDC is non-profit organization that works toward the resettlement of refugees within the United States. We conduct case work, as well as educational and social outreach programs for newly arrived refugee families. These programs are aimed to help the families recover from past traumatic experiences, get adjusted to American life, and become economically self-sufficient contributing members of their new communities. The refugees we work with refugees come from all across the globe.
Some of the services that we provide refugee families include:
- Housing and rent for 3 months (families will hopefully be self-sufficient by this time)
- Basic home furnishings
- Enrollment in ESL classes
- Setting up medical and social security appointments
- School enrollment for the children
- Helping refugee families connect with their new communities on a social and logistical level