Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Site Coordinator
(this is a volunteer position)
The Site Coordinator coordinates the tax site making sure that the site runs smoothly. He or she solves any problems as professionally as possible keeping in mind that the clients are the top priority. The Site Coordinator also assures that all services rendered to the clients are done so in an atmosphere of respect as our mission dictates.
- Supervising opening and closing of site, ensuring all necessary materials and supplies are available
- Ensuring all volunteer tax preparers working at the site have been IRS-trained and certified
- Coordinating work of tax preparers and other volunteers, making sure that every detail is completed with the utmost accuracy and efficiency.
- Oversee E-Filing of returns and correcting and resubmitting rejected returns.
- Filing and maintaining paperwork, including intake forms, and providing for secure storage of documents per IRS regulations
- Being available to answer and respond to questions from clients and volunteers. If a volunteer suspects any fraud, the site coordinator will assist in asking questions that may draw out the correct information.
- Ensuring confidentiality of all records at the VITA sites
- Completing tasks necessary to maintaining a safe working environment for volunteers and clients. Acting as mediator if there is a disagreement, with the authority to act in the best interests of safety in all situations including calling law officials if necessary as a last resort.
- Observing behavior of volunteers and managing any behavior that is not in the best interests of the program as specified in the VITA Program Handbook
- Creating the weekly shift schedules; facilitating calling in volunteers to work in times of need.
- Providing quality control for all aspects of operation including filing accuracy and effective customer service
- Delegating any job that is necessary for smooth operation at the sites.
- Facilitating monthly VITA coaches meetings; attending monthly VITA Site Coordinator meetings and FRC VITA training sessions.
- Plan and organize the volunteer social event(s), to include the year-end recognition celebration.
- Complete IRS certification(s).
- Previous tax/accounting background/education preferred
- Strong computer skills
- Good verbal communication skills
- Ability to manage volunteers and interact with VITA clients
- Well organized, capable of managing operations of a site
- Must be available weekends and evenings
- We are looking for volunteer Site Coordinators to manage sites in Fremont, Newark, and Union City. Our VITA site is open from January 24, 2018 through April 17, 2018. Services are offered Mondays - 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.; Tuesdays - 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.; Wednesdays - 1 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.; Thursdays 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (site #1) and 1 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. (site #2); Fridays - 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.; Saturdays - 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Program Management
- People Skills
- Problem Solving
- Public Speaking
- Verbal / Written Communication
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Orientation or Training