Art Expression Inc., a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, is seeking individuals with a passion for improving communities by embracing and valuing diversity through the arts to join its board of directors. The organization has been distinguished twice (2017 and 2013) as a finalist for the National Arts & Humanities Youth Program Award, which is the highest honor our country can give an out-of-school-time program. Candidates must be dedicated to the arts and helping children.
Art Expression is an inclusive after-school arts-enrichment organization that conducts programming in underserved schools, homeless shelters and community organizations throughout western Pennsylvania. Components of art and music therapy are used to improve social skills through the arts for children and adolescents. The goals of Art Expression are: to increase self-esteem, creative self-expression and independence through art-making and discussion; enhance social and anti-bullying skills; improve problem solving skills and frustration tolerance; reinforce academic core standards; increase leadership skills; and develop greater coping and resiliency skills to address the physical, verbal and social impacts of bullying. Art Expression strengthens communities and families as it helps children to become more resilient, more adaptable and better equipped to handle life’s adversities.
Candidates with experience in the nonprofit sector are strongly preferred; however, candidates who feel strongly about making a difference for children early in their lives are also welcome. We are in need of board members who have a background in the legal, marketing, corporate, or therapeutic/mental-health fields. We seek a minimum one-year commitment.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Regularly attend semiannual board meetings;
- Serve as a champion for the organization in the community and continually seek out new connections with potential programming and funding partners;
- Seek out funders in the business (e.g. employee giving programs) and foundation communities to maintain Art Expression's programs and help with daily operations;
- Maintain regular communication with the executive director and offer advice and guidance;
- Serve on at least one board committee during first year of membership; and
- Assist in identifying and recruiting new board members.
In addition, candidates must be able to commit to a minimum of two to five hours each month devoted to Art Expression activities (these may include, but are not limited to, board meetings; email correspondence; tasks directed to you by the president of the foundation; networking opportunities; phone calls; evaluation of promotional materials; and review of grants).
Board members will consider Art Expression an important component of their philanthropic activities and will make as substantial an annual gift as is feasible, according to their capacity.
To learn more about Art Expression, please visit our website at artexpressioninc.org. If you believe you possess the necessary attributes to make a positive contribution to the Art Expression Board of Directors, please contact Angela Lowden, executive director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Legal (General)
- Mental Health
- Marketing & Communications (Mar/Com)
- Counseling / Mental Health
- Business Development
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- A minimum one-year commitment is requested.
- Location in Pittsburgh/western Pennsylvania area is preferred.