MULTIPLE LOCATIONS: Alaska, Arkansas, Colorado, Idaho, Kentucky, Maine, Michigan, Nebraska, Oregon, Rhode Island, Tennessee, Utah, West Virginia, Wyoming.
Amnesty International USA (AIUSA) is seeking qualified volunteer Legislative Coordinators in every state to engage U.S. political leaders to stand up for human rights. Legislative Coordinators work with Amnesty members and advocacy staff to lobby Members of Congress and other key officials on legislation and initiatives to safeguard rights and protect people at risk. State Legislative Coordinators advise activists in their state on advocacy tactics and issues, and build networks to win legislative successes.
- Keep current on AIUSA’s legislative priorities.
- Maintain regular contact with Members of Congress and their staff regarding human rights issues. Provide information, and seek their support on key votes.
- Coordinate and inspire advocacy efforts by Amnesty activists in your state.
- Lead workshops and other initiatives to build the lobbying skills of people in your state.
- Help garner media and social media coverage on AIUSA legislative issues.
- Forge strategic alliances with other organizations where appropriate to help advance AIUSA legislative initiatives or human rights priorities.
- Work collaboratively with Amnesty members, staff and other volunteer leaders to grow and strengthen the organization’s capacity.
Qualifications considered when recruiting new Legislative Coordinators include:
- Experience lobbying elected officials in-person.
- Experience with grassroots organizing and coalition building.
- Ability to lead training workshops.
- Familiarity with international human rights standards.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
Please note that applicants may not be employed by a political organization, the United States government, or any foreign government.
Applicants must be based and registered to vote in the United States.
Location and Time Commitment:
Most of the volunteer's work will be conducted from home, via email or phone. The average time commitment is 15-20 hours per month, but varies depending on the time of year. Training is provided, and a two-year commitment is requested of all new Legislative Coordinators. The position is unpaid, but certain volunteer-related expenses may be reimbursed.
Follow us on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/amnesty-international-usa
Amnesty International USA is an equal opportunity employer strongly committed to diversity and inclusion within the workplace. Women, People of Color, LGBTQIA individuals, and other historically disenfranchised populations are encouraged to apply.
Due to the large volume of applications, we are only able to contact those applicants who are selected for interviews.
For more information, please e-mail email@example.com. To apply, click on the "Apply for this Role" link below.
- Grant Writing / Research
- CSR / Volunteer Coordination
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment