JerseySTEM is an all volunteers grassroots non-profit agency dedicated to bridging the Innovation Gap, the Opportunity Gap and the Gender Gap in STEM education. We provide free of charge after-school, project-based, hands-on, team structures programs in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math to underserved students in New Jersey. Classes include: Robotics, Coding, Engineering, Life Sciences, etc. and are focused on kids grade 5-8. The programs last 10 weeks and are taught predominantly by volunteer college students that we recruit, train, transport and mentor as they donate 2 hours/week to the program.
JerseySTEM is seeking educators to identify STEAM curricular programs that are freely available and enhance/edit found cirriculum per JerseySTEM rubric for use by outreach programs with children from grades K-12.
- Identify established curricula/lesson plans via the internet, library, databases, museums, organizations, and government for STEAM programs
- Analyze and evaluate found curricula with JerseySTEM criteria
- Redesign identified curricula as needed to align it to "Backward Design" principles and JerseySTEM's constructivist, student-centred philosophy
- Edit/augment identified lesson plans to explicitly support our teachers who are student and citizen volunteers with teaching experience
- Edit/augment identified lesson plan/experiences to ensure learning experience is student-centred, problem or project-based and hands-on
-Expertise in "Backward Design" curriculum construction with a firm understanding of multiple assessments
- Student-centred and constructivist approaches to learning
- Project and problem-based learning
-Science or technology background is helpful but not essential