The writing group mentor coordinates and facilitates ongoing group meetings for the SLCC Community Writing Center's (CWC) DiverseCity Writing Series. As a mentor you have the opportunity to create an atmosphere where writers can share their work and receive thoughtful feedback. This helps enable the CWC’s mission of promoting writing and diversity within the community. Volunteer mentors find that their own writing improves as they assist others in their writing.
- Track group meetings
- Provide prompts and constructive feedback to group participants
- Participate in group with your writing
- Be inviting to and collaborative with community writers
- Understand group dynamics while being flexible, nonjudgmental, and creative
- Assist in yearly group publication
Time Commitment: West Side Stories meets the 1st and 3rd Thursday of every month from 6:30 - 8pm. We ask that group mentors commit to a minimum of six months of service.
Group mentors will report to the DiverseCity Writing Series program coordinator.
A qualified mentor will be interested in the writing process, sensitive to diverse populations, patient, dependable, and open-minded.
Orientation and training for this position will be provided by the SLCC Community Writing Center.
Thank you for your interest in strengthening our community of writers with your time and talents!
- Literacy / Reading
- People Skills
- Reading Comprehension
- Reading / Writing
- Verbal / Written Communication
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Orientation or Training
- About 6 hours a month.
- 6 month minimum commitment