Do you identify as an advocate for social justice?
Join our dynamic team of volunteer English teachers and make a lasting impact in the lives of immigrants and their families in Boston!BASIC INFORMATION
Centro Presente's Education for Empowerment Program (EFE) provides Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced English classes to the Latino community of East Boston. Our curriculum has a unique dual focus-- we provide students with both language skills and essential knowledge of their rights as immigrants.
Volunteer teachers must be able to commit 4 hours per week to ESL instruction. Lead teachers are supported by at least one assistant teacher in the classroom. Class sizes are small and personal-- 15 students maximum.
Textbooks, curricula, resources, and training are provided to all teachers.POSITIONS AVAILABLE
- Beginner ESL, Assistant + Instructor (Monday + Wednesday 6-8pm)
- Intermediate Conversation Class, Instructor (Monday + Wednesday 4-6pm)
- April 16th, 2018
- Teach 40 hours of instruction during a 10-week cycle
- Prepare lessons in advance using syllabus, lesson plans and textbooks provided
- Prioritize interactive activities and incorporate multiple intelligences into instruction
- Prepare lessons centered on students’ life experiences
- Assign homework and assessments of student progress
- Include analysis of social and economic realities of immigrants into teaching
- Incorporate Centro Presente mission into curriculum
- Collaborate with Assistant Teacher (if applicable)
- Teaching or tutoring experience
- TESOL certificate preferred but not required
- Experience working with immigrant communities
- Commitment to immigrants' rights and social justice
- Organized and resourceful
- Volunteer must commit to completing at least one 10-week cycle. Preference will be given to qualified volunteers who can commit to multiple cycles.
We look forward to hearing from you!HOW TO APPLY
To apply please submit your resume to the Adult Education Coordinator Meredith Gamble at email@example.com.
- Adult Education
- Teaching / Instruction
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- 4-6 hours/week