LHI has several projects in the US and abroad, and we are currently seeking volunteers to help with our project in Northern Greece.
There are currently 300+ Yazidi refugees from Iraq and Syria living in a refugee camp in Greece. They fled their homes after ISIS invaded their homeland, and after travelling to Turkey, and across the sea to Greece, they are now awaiting resettlement. The Yazidi community is incredibly warm, welcoming, and VERY eager to learn and share their culture and love with everyone.
LHI currently does the following in Northern Greece:
● Distribution of NFI’s (non food items): clothing, hygiene, blankets, etc.
● Dietary Supplementation: fresh produce, rice, tea cooking oil, etc.
● Women’s Center: daily English and German lessons, yoga, music lessons, fitness, dance gatherings,
beauty Sundays, handicrafts, etc.
● Children’s Activities: fitness, music, dancing, games, cinema nights, crafts, etc.
● Men’s Services: Yoga, fitness, English, German, etc.
The following are volunteer position we are always in need of:
● Yoga Teachers: to share daily classes with women and children.
● Language Teachers: to offer English, German, or Greek lessons with the camp residents. We are in URGENT NEED for GERMAN SPEAKERS. Many of the Yazidi's are being resettled in Germany so German language classes are in high demand.
● Hosts for Children’s Activities: to host children’s activities each morning and evening
● Hosts for Women’s Activities: yoga, meditation, fitness, arts and crafts, beauty events, dancing
gatherings, futbol practices, etc.
● Musicians: to lead music lessons, including: harmonica, guitar, ukulele, singing, keyboard, etc.
● Interpreters: support our activities and services with the residents (Kurdish and/or Arabic)
● Workshop Facilitators: photography, film, sports, self-defense, etc.
● Warehouse: organizing, preparing, transporting aid, etc.
Volunteering with LHI is an unpaid position. Volunteers must be financially self-sufficient. We do not have any administration fees or anything else you will have to pay for besides your means getting to Greece, and the (low) cost of living in Northern Greece. We ask for a minimum time commitment of 30 days, however, exceptions can be made for those with specific skills or circumstances.
Please contact via email or complete the following form if you are interested in joining the team!
- Adult Education
- Teaching / Instruction
- Fitness Instruction
- String Instrument
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Must be at least 18
- 30 Days