Su Casa empowers individuals and families to live free from domestic abuse and builds partnerships with communities to end domestic violence. Volunteers are essential to helping us meet the needs of the survivors who seek our services. Due to the nature of our work, we seek volunteers who can commit for at least one year of service. Below you will find information on the volunteer positions we have open and their corresponding responsibilities. If you are interested in applying for a position, please submit your application and résumé to us and we will contact you to discuss the position and your interests. Thank you for considering joining our efforts to end domestic violence.
Requires the state-mandated 40-hour training on domestic violence.
Training may be completed within 3 months of being accepted as a volunteer.
Hours: You must be able to work at least 3 hours in a shift: Monday-Friday 9 am - 7 pm
PRIMARY ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Hotline Phone Calls: Provides crisis intervention counseling, completes shelter intakes and/or provides appropriate referrals. (Emergency Shelter only)
Child Care/Kids Club: Provides age-appropriate activities and supervision for children.
Support/Educational Group Co-Facilitation: Provides support and knowledge on varying topics including domestic violence, self-esteem, life skills, & parenting.
Documentation: Data input during hotline calls and/or case management notes.
SECONDARY ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Distributes clothing & personal items to clients as needed.
Follows and implements security procedures.
Files child abuse reports as needed.
Organizing and sorting donations.
Additional duties and special projects may be assigned as necessary.
POSITION: FIX-IT PERSON FOR LIGHT MAINTENANCE WORK.
40-hour training NOT required
Hours: Flexible, Weekdays and Weekends
Site Maintenance: Light Fix-It Projects, Painting, Electrical, Plumbing, Moving Furniture
Organization & Sorting: Organizes donations including food and clothing POSITION: FUNDRAISER and/or OUTREACH VOLUNTEER.
40-hour training NOT required
Hours: As-Needed, Flexible, Weekdays and Weekends
Outreach: Represent Su Casa at various community events including health fairs, fundraisers, and educational events. Share information about Su Casa’s services with community members and engage the public in a dialogue about domestic violence. Hours vary and many events are on the weekend.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS FOR ALL POSITIONS:
1. At least 18 years of age. (Counselor-Advocates only)
2. Desirable qualification if working with survivors: Bilingual: English/Spanish.
3. Possess good written and oral communication skills.
4. Possess computer knowledge and skills. (Counselor-Advocates only)
7. Ability to work as a team member and have good interpersonal skills. However, sometimes you will work alone so you must have the ability to take initiative and work independently and productively with minimal supervision.
8. Sensitivity to victim’s issues and needs.
9. Has not been a resident of Su Casa or any other domestic violence shelter nor been in an abusive relationship for the past 12 months. Additional time may be recommended to allow for healing.
10. Clear state and FBI criminal background check.
To apply, please contact: email@example.com (562) 421-6537
AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT COMPLIANCE INFORMATION: To comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act and other applicable laws insuring equal opportunities to qualified individuals with a disability, reasonable accommodations are made for the known physical or mental limitations of an otherwise qualified individual with a disability unless an undue hardship, direct threat to health and safety or other job related consideration exists.
- Child Care
- Crisis Intervention
- CSR / Volunteer Coordination
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- At least 1 year