Lead Website Architecture Engineer (Python Engineer)
**Read "To Apply" at bottom of this Job posting**
**Do not apply through this website**
We are seeking socially conscious Website Architecture Engineer for an exciting rebuild of UniversalGiving website. The Engineer should have experience building marketplace websites such asAmazon, Target or Zappos or built a small e-commerce marketplace from scratch.
We are going to be using Django, Python, MySQL,HTML5, React/Flux (possibly Angular2/Angular4 including Typescript), CSS3 for the new website, so experience with it is a must.
Please attach your python coding samples or link to your work.
Website Architecture Engineer
Business Unit: Product Development
Reports To: Database Engineer and UniversalGiving Tech Committee
UniversalGiving(r) is an award-winning website that allows people to donate and volunteer with top performing vetted projects all over the world. People can volunteer at a community clinic in Uganda or give $25 to help a rural school in Nepal. Unique to UniversalGiving, 100% goes directly to the cause. UniversalGiving Corporate provides Strategy, Operations, and NGO Vetting to scale companies’ CSR programs in more than 120 countries; our Corporate Services allow us to become self-sustaining. UniversalGiving has been featured on the homepage of Bloomberg, Oprah.com, CBS, The Wall Street Journal, and TheNew York Times.
UniversalGiving just celebrated 10 years and 10,000 global volunteers matched with NGOs in more than 100 countries across the world. We are now rebuilding our website with new technologies. Our goal is to have a site that can handle partnerships with major media organizations such as CBS during times of crisis/natural disaster. When a crisis occurs and is featured on TV, people will give through UniversalGiving. Our site must be robust, have excellent performance, and the ability to handle millions of visitors.
We are looking for a Website Architecture Engineer to join our organization for 4-6 months to lay the architecture and build the entire website. We would ideally like you to stay for a long-term, continuing to build-out on major releases and work with our Product Development team. However, if you are an engineer inspired by creating new systems, we will take your involvement to 4-6 months as long as you agree to document and pass on knowledge to a new Full-stack Engineer. We will need you to be available for ongoing questions.
The ideal candidate has hands-on experience designing and troubleshooting large-scale systems architecture, in addition to working experience with virtualized environments in the enterprise. You will build the architecture of our website, build the whole website and ensure that our website offers security. Ensure that all systems are working at optimal levels and offers support to developers regarding new technologies and system requirements.
You must have experience building marketplace websites such asAmazon, Target or Zappos or built a small e-commerce marketplace from scratch. We are going to be using Django/Python, MySQL, Bootstrap (preferably Bootstrap4),HTML5, React/Flux (possibly Angular2/Angular4 including Typescript), CSS3 for the new website, so experience with it is a must.
● Provide large-scale architecture for new website.
● Execute on entire build-out of new website.
● Write efficient, well-designed python code with a clean separation from the frontend.
● Provide technical leadership around the delivery of component designs and development.
● Drive the project and be able to make critical tech decisions.
● Have the ability to quickly define, develop, test and deploy well-crafted, high-performing code per a release schedule.
● Ensure that all systems are working at optimal levels.
● Lead other engineers and delegate tasks.
● Our current website is built based on Java, Apache Struts, MySQL, Apache Tomcat 7.0, JMeter, and Hibernate ORM. Our rebuild will move to the following technologies Django Framework,Python, MySQL, Bootstrap (preferably Bootstrap4), HTML5, React/Flux (possibly Angular2/Angular4 including Typescript), CSS3 and others.
● Provide crisp and well-understood directives and communication.
● Report to the Tech Committee and the Database Engineer.
Technologies & Skills
● 5+ years of strong technical experience.
● Experience in designing highly scalable, craftsmanship, web-based marketplaces that are attractive, rapid, and functional.
● Excellent coding skills in Python.
● Effective in working with productive tools and Django framework.
● Solid understanding of building scalable web APIs.
● Preferred experience in NodeJS.
● Understanding and experience in integrating RESTful Web Services.
● Strong grasp of practical issues such as web application scalability.
● We are open to the build-out in other languages provided you have a strong plan that proves long-term sustainability and scalability for millions of users and a clear code base.
● B.S. or M.S. in Computer Science or related field or equivalent work experience.
● Understanding of applications from technical and business perspective.
● Must have hands on experience developing E-commerce websites.
● Must have experience in developing a website from scratch which caters to millions of users.
● Demonstrated ability to think strategically about business, product, and technical challenges.
● Experience in managing scalable, cloud hosting solutions such as AWSor Azure.
● Experience with building Single Page Applications.
● Preferred experience with message-oriented and asynchronous architectures (like RabbitMQ, Celery).
● Self-directed problem solver.
● Comfortable working in a start-up environment.
● Interest in nonprofit work, international issues, and philanthropy.
● Full support for the mission and vision of UniversalGiving.
● Decision Quality: Makes good decisions based on a mix of experience, analysis, research, and judgment.
● Action Oriented: Takes direction and implements task from management with ease and immediacy.
● Professionalism: is respectful, trusting, has a positive attitude, and excellent execution.
● Listening: attentive, active listener has patience and asks for clarity if needed.
● Process Management: follows UG manuals, figures out process with minimal direction.
● Time Management: uses time effectively and efficiently.
● Drives for Results: pushes oneself and team for results; meets goals.
● Understanding others: understands various points of view; embraces diversity.
Email your resume, cover letter and references to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Website Architecture Engineer" in the subject line. In your cover letter, please describe your experience in building web-based marketplaces and your specific role.
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. No phone calls, please.
UniversalGiving(tm) is committed to understanding and representing the diverse populations it serves worldwide. Members of all ages, genders, sexual orientations, races, ethnicities, nationalities, physical abilities or disabilities, religions or beliefs, and cultures are welcome as employees and volunteers in our organization. We believe that a diverse team will best serve our diverse populations.Industry Nonprofit Organization Management, Philanthropy, and Computer Software Employment type Full-time Experience Mid-Senior level Job function Engineering,Information Technology,Product Management
We'll work with your schedule.
1161 Mission Street, Suite 403San Francisco, CA 94103
- Background Check