View our website, mission and programs here: http://aedunetwork.org/
Description of the Position
The Policy Briefs Manager leads the entire Policy Briefs team by managing the Policy Briefs Editor and contributors in order to produce consistent quality content with a focus on policy and international development in African countries.
This is the ideal position for a leadership-oriented individual with goals in journalism, research, international development, public policy, or related fields, and looking for a way to get international exposure. As a startup international development organization, AEN will give you plenty of opportunities to develop better practices or establish additional ambitious goals (new media, novel storytelling methods, data journalism, etc) alongside the routine requirements of the position.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Guiding the whole Policy Briefs Section to produce timely African policy news updates, in fields ranging from economics to security to community development
- Working with our in-country Ugandan team to interview and report on Ugandan community-based organizations
- Providing updates to our growing Individual and Organization Profiles database
- Identifying new goals and areas for expansion, such as data journalism or new media
- Managing the review and editing of writing pieces produced by contributors
- Supervising the drafting of a quarterly newsletter, ensuring it follows AEN’s instruction manual;
- Sending the draft newsletter to the U.S. Director and revising and finalizing the newsletter based upon the U.S. Director’s feedback;
- Coordinating the team of contributors and making sure the deadlines are met;
- Communicating timely with AEN’s other sections when needed;
- Briefing the Policy Briefs Section’s work progress to the U.S. Director on a weekly basis.
An availability of 7-20 hours per week is needed for this position, depending on the availability of the candidate. The minimum time commitment is 6 months.
We are looking for highly motivated individuals focusing on writing-related fields or international development. Specific studies are less relevant than writing and/or editing experience. Prior knowledge of AP Style and new media techniques is valuable but not necessary. Experience in the non-profit sector is highly appreciated. The ideal candidate will possess excellent writing and interpersonal skills, with a strong commitment to AEN’s values and mission.
Code & Conditions
An offer of assignment and a copy of the Conditions of Service and Code of Conduct will be issued to the successful candidate. He or she will receive training before the work officially starts. Please note this position is unpaid, as AEN is a non-profit organization and cannot offer financial retribution at this stage. Most of the work will be done online through the AEN’s intranet, remote control system, and emails.
- Cross-cultural Communication
- Reading Comprehension
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Reading / Writing
- Community Outreach
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- At least 3 months