RECOVERY TECH DESCRIPTION
The Recovery Tech position is a hands on veterinary assistant job, limited to the monitoring of post-surgery patients. The Recovery Tech is responsible for monitoring and caring for pets as they recover from a spay or neuter surgery. A certified Vet Tech is present at all times, and will instruct the Recovery Tech as needed. Our licensed veterinarian is also available at all times in the adjoining surgical suite. Our surgery center is a certified ASPCA Humane Alliance clinic (the only one in St. Johns County) and follows strict procedures for spay and neuter techniques.
- Carry animals from surgery table to recovery area
- Record vitals and monitor recovery to ensure safety of the pet
- Keep animals comfortable and warm
- Take animals to waiting area after initial recovery
- Physically able to move and lift animals or cages
- Attention to detail
- Aptitude for post-surgical care
- Situational awareness at all times
- Must wear wine colored scrubs (to be purchased by volunteer)
- Background check and signed waiver
There will be an "on the job" training program. You will be paired with an experienced volunteer for several days until you are comfortable enough to perform the required tasks on your own. There will always be staff on hand you can ask if you have any questions.
The St. Augustine Humane Society promotes healthy, responsible, lifelong pet ownership in our community. We offer many important services to help pet parents keep their pets, rather than relinquishing them to a shelter. Some of the services we offer include our low cost, high volume spay/neuter program, our low cost wellness clinic, positive reinforcement dog training classes, and the pet food pantry. We rely on talented and dedicated volunteers to assist with these programs, and to ensure that all pets and pet parents receive the care and services they need. By offering low-cost veterinary services and serving as a resource center for our community, we are able to provide affordable assistance to all, making our clinic the only one of its kind in St. Johns County.
- Animal Care / Handling
- Animal Therapy
- Critical Thinking
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Must purchase wine colored scrubs.