The Medical Reserve Corps (MRC) is a national network of volunteers, organized locally to improve the health and safety of their communities. The MRC network comprises 991 community-based units and almost 200,000 volunteers located throughout the United States and its territories.
MRC volunteers include medical and public health professionals, as well as other community members without healthcare backgrounds. MRC units engage these volunteers to strengthen public health, improve emergency response capabilities and build community resiliency. They prepare for and respond to natural disasters, such as wildfires, hurricanes, tornados, blizzards, and floods, as well as other emergencies affecting public health, such as disease outbreaks. They frequently contribute to community health activities that promote healthy habits.
What could Medical Reserve Corps(MRC) Volunteers Do?
- Train of various emergency management and public health topics.
- Educate the community on emergency preparedness, and public health as a whole.
- Community outreach to underserved populations.
- Provide an important surge capacity during a large-scale medical emergency.
- Assist with mass prophylaxis of our community.
- Assist with the management of large communicable disease outbreaks by providing epidemiological interviewing support and phone bank support.
- Assist with the distribution of the Strategic National Stockpile supplies and equipment following a public health emergency.
- Assist with administrative and other essential support functions.
- Assist environmental health in preserving water, food, and human safety.
- Assist community organizations with volunteer support.
- First Aid during large public gatherings.
- Veterinary support and pet preparedness.
- Disaster Response
- Mental Health
- Safety & Disaster Education
- First Aid / CPR
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- In order to volunteer as a Medical volunteer, you must be currently licensed in Virginia.