Academic Coaches work with small groups (3-4 students) of boys and girls in the South Bronx United Youth Development Program to provide homework help and support the youth in reaching their grade levels in math and the English Language Arts. Academic Coaches meet with the boys and girls, ages 11-14, for 2 hours on a set day every week. Tutors work with the same groups week to week, having the opportunity to build relationships with the kids and serve as a positive adult role model in their lives.
Spring Semester: January - June, Monday - Thursday, 4:00 - 6:00pm
Fall Semester: September - January, Monday - Thursday, 4:00-6:00pm
Urban Assembly School for Careers in Sports, Mott Haven HS Campus, 730 Concourse Village West, Bronx, NY 10451
South Bronx United is looking for highly motivated, energetic volunteers who want to make a difference in the lives of South Bronx youth. Volunteers should possess a solid general knowledge of 5th-9th grade subject areas and feel comfortable teaching youth how to utilize the resources available to solve problems and guide them through the process rather than simply providing answers. It is not expected that tutors will be experts in all subject areas or know the answers to everything!
While the program runs every school day, Academic Coaches are only asked to commit to 2 hours, one day a week for one semester. However, if a coach would like to be more involved, he/she is always welcome.
An orientation at the beginning of service will be run for all Academic Coaches to give general guidelines and best practices. Additionally, a training will be held at or near the beginning of service to provide tutoring tips and to go over the specific needs of the students.
In addition to helping provide the resources and support to allow underserved students to thrive in school, SBU is happy to connect with your school to see if your volunteer hours can work towards school service or academic requirements.
Youth participating in the program are also members of the South Bronx United Furia Azul, Strikers, and Shooting Stars Travel Soccer Teams. Academic Coaches are welcome and encouraged to come out and see a game or get involved in a practice as youth are extremely passionate about the sport and its a great way to connect with the kids.
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- General Education
- Youth Services
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- Orientation or Training
- Non Profit Development Internship
- College Prep Tutor - SAT Prep
- Volunteer Coordinator -...
- STRATEGIC DEVELOPMENT INTERN
- Academic Coach (After School...
- AmeriCorps Vista Development and...
- Summer Soccer Scholars: Teaching...
- Soccer Coach-Mentor: SBU Global...
- ESOL Tutor
- College Prep Tutor - Seniors
- College Prep Mentor
- Travel Soccer Coach & Mentor
- Summer Soccer Scholars: Coaching...
- Head Coach & Mentor for Girls...
- Non-Profit Data Systems Internship
- Girls Soccer Coach & Mentor
- After School Soccer Coach
- College Prep Tutor - Sophomores
- AmeriCorps UP2US Coach & Mentor
- Youth Recreational Soccer Coach