Citizenship Instructor Volunteer opportunity Walter C Young Library
DONATE TO THIS
25 people are interested
The Volunteer Citizenship Instructor teaches English literacy and U.S. History and government to adult Lawful Permanent Residents to prepare them for the naturalization interview and test to become a U.S. citizen.
Instructors for Citizenship Program - Areas of Assistance:
- Conducts routine group education classes on naturalization process, U.S. history and government and civic engagement at the assigned libraries
- Does mock interviews for students
- Explains USCIS naturalization eligibility requirements, rights and responsibilities of the Lawful Permanent Resident and US Citizen
- Ensures that students understand main issues and concepts of the naturalization process
- Distributes class materials to students
- Suggests new class materials to the Program Manager
- Ensures that all students sign in and complete in-take forms at each class
- Collects attendance sheets and completed in-take forms.
- Participate and promote Hispanic Unity as a Social Services Agency
- Perform other job related duties as required.
The ideal volunteer should have a strong sense of commitment to the principals and values of Hispanic Unity of Florida. H/she shall demonstrate deep knowledge and full understanding of U.S. History and government. Instruction experience is a plus. Strong written and oral communication skills are a must. This position requires strong organizational skills.
About Hispanic Unity of Florida
5840 Johnson Street, Hollywood, FL 33021, US
"Empowering Hispanics and other members of the community to become self-sufficient, civically engaged and lead productive lives."
Hispanic Unity of Florida (HUF) was founded 30 years ago by community leaders to ease the acculturation transition for newcomers from other nations. HUF has served as South Florida's Ellis Island for new immigrants arriving in Broward County. Since 1982, our purpose has been "Empowering Hispanics, and other members of the community, to become self-sufficient, civically engaged and lead productive lives." Serving over 20,000 clients from more than 25 nations, HUF offers a "one-stop-shop" with 21 services in three languages to Broward's diverse community.
Programs - Education: Unity 4Kids - Early Childhood Education Center; Unity 4Teens - Year Round After School
Programs - Economic Development: Center for Working Families; Emerging Entrepreneurs program; Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program; English Classes (ESOL)
Programs - Civic Engagement & Legal: Citizenship Classes & Naturalization Application Services; Voter Registration; Legal Consultations & Referrals; Immigration
955 NW 129 AvePembroke Pines, FL 33028
- Adult Education
- Teaching / Instruction
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Driver's License Needed
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- every Monday Long-term commitment is preferred
- Spanish is a plus