Would you be interested in an exciting opportunity to help Lava Mae as an Encore Fellow? Lava Mae is a San Francisco-based nonprofit that is transforming the way communities see and serve people moving through homelessness. By shining a light on our shared humanity, driving innovation in programming, and inspiring collaboration, we’re catalyzing change. See the CNN hero feature on Lava Mae: http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/01/health/cnn-hero-doniece-sandoval-lava-mae/index.html.
We do this by bringing critical services - delivered with an unexpected level of care that we call radical hospitality - to the street through programs such as our mobile hygiene service and our new Pop-Up Care Villages.
Encore Fellowships are specifically targeted for older adults (generally 50+) who are leaving their primary career and may want to consider a transition to the social sector. To learn more and apply: http://encore.org/fellowships/svef/Reporting to the COO, the Director of Finance and Operations (DFO) will oversee and execute on all finance, administrative and operations functions. The DFO will help shape and drive a scalable and efficient financial system, providing exceptional service to our internal team and serving as a strategic resource to the COO/CEO and board Finance Committee to ensure that sound fiscal policies and appropriate organizational infrastructure are in place to support ambitious growth in the coming years.
Develop and monitor 2018 budget, strategic financial plans and forecasting of target revenue streams.
* Evaluate, refine, maintain appropriate internal controls and financial procedures.
* Coordinate Lava Mae's first-ever audit and filing of 2017 tax returns.
* Develop and utilize forward-looking, predictive models and activity-based financial analyses to provide insight into the organization's operations and business plans.
* In concert with Leadership Team and board Finance Cmte, develop short-, medium-, and long-term financial plans and projections.
* Seamlessly manage cash and asset management.
* Oversee the maintenance of all financial accounts including credit cards, bank accounts and merchant accounts and regularly communicate status to Leadership Team and board Finance Cmte.
Develop and monitor grant budgets and financial reports for grants to CEO or primary grant contact
* Monitor the use of grant funds, including tracking restricted funds and their disclosure in financial statements, and preparing salary allocations and other allocations as needed
* Prepare and present grant activity reports to the COO and CEO on a regular basis
ACCOUNTING & ADMIN:
Supervise Bookkeeper/ Accountant: oversee the processing of all accounting transactions, revise reconciliations from CPA and close out of monthly finances
* Oversee accounts payable, accounts receivable, invoice procedures and management of finance files
* Support the COO on the organization’s financial, budgeting, and administrative processes-including HR, payroll, and benefits functions-with an eye to continuously developing and improving systems
* Provide the senior team and branch directors with the financial tools necessary to maximize performance, including training re basic financial understanding and budget planning
* Establish processes to manage insurance policies (benefits and general liability) and ensure contracted vendors carry required insurance coverage and that appropriate documentation is obtained and maintained;
Lava Mae is a small but mighty organization. In San Francisco, where we're headquartered and where the DOF would be located, we currently have seven people on our internal team and 5 on our frontline. Our LA branch has an additional six team members.
The DOF will have significant contact with the leadership and program teams and will be required to spend two shifts per month on the frontline to stay connected with our mission and our guests. This means providing mobile shower service on the street in different neighborhoods throughout San Francisco.
We work hard to ensure people thrive at Lava Mae; employee happiness and the ability to reach professional development goals is a top priority. Things, however, move fast at Lava Mae and the ability to be fluid, agile and collaborative is essential.
- Resource Development / Management
- Capacity Planning
- Human Resources Strategy
- Business Development
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- generally 1000 service hours over 12 months