After school STEM Camp Science/Engineering Tutor
2 people are interested
Mt. Vernon School District Afterschool S.T.E.M. Camp Science and Engineering Tutor
Position Overview and Impact: Tutor and mentor economically disadvantaged 5th graders in science and engineering to improve state assessment scores and self-confidence in their scientific abilities.
- Tutor and mentor 5th grade students on core science and/or engineering concepts and techniques to improve State Assessment scores for Science
- Work with the Camp Coordinator to improve the science and engineering activities and curriculum, and brainstorm new activities
- Mentor and empower students to explore new ideas, interests and talents to increase self-confidence in their abilities as new scientists and engineers
- Experience working with or teaching school age children
- Knowledge of basic science and engineering skills, theories and practices.
- (If 18yrs+) Ability to pass a background check
Training and Support Provided: Orientation to School District code of conduct and State Learning Objectives and access to the Camp Coordinator as needed
Benefits of Volunteering: Gain experience tutoring and mentoring youth and empower disadvantaged students towards pursuing further education in their favorite subjects
Time Commitment: Monday-Thursday 3:00pm- 5:30p.m; Rotating between all six Elementary Schools in Mount Vernon
Length of Commitment: One school year; Approx. 80 days total. Each STEM Camp lasts for 3 weeks, 4 days/week. You are welcome to commit to as many or as few of these 3 week sessions as you'd like.
Contact: Isabel Mills, Program Coordinator (360) 428-6110, Ex. 11416; firstname.lastname@example.org
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
We'll work with your schedule.
Mt Vernon School District 124 E Lawrence StMount Vernon, WA 98273
- Math / Science Instruction
- Teaching / Instruction
- Reading / Writing
- Mechanical Engineering
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 11
- Orientation or Training
- Minimum of three weeks, Monday-Thursday, 3-5:30 pm