Art With Impact (AWI), a nonprofit organization that uses the arts to reduce stigma around mental health issues, is seeking volunteers to help out at their next event!
About the Event
We will be hosting two Movies for Mental Health (M4MH) workshops on Monday, May 7 at Antelope Valley College, from 12pm to 2pm (volunteers arrive at 11am).
Our M4MH workshop is a 2-hour interactive workshop on college campuses that creates space for students to have open and honest conversations about mental health. They involve interactive discussion, watching and responding to short films about different mental health issues, and a panel of speakers talking about lived experience stories, and mental health resources available to students on-campus and in the community. The workshops are incredibly powerful, eye-opening, and inspiring, as it’s not often that we get to truly talk about these complex issues. The vast majority of students who attend report that the workshop increased awareness of mental health issues, reduced stigma around mental illness, and increased their likelihood to seek mental health support if they need it.
Workshop Support Volunteers
Our Workshop Support Volunteers (that’s you!) are an incredibly important aspect of our work. The workshop will be led by one of our facilitators, and they can’t do it alone! They will be setting up and leading the workshop, and there are a lot of moving parts involved. Your tasks as a Workshop Support Volunteer could include:
- Having a phone call with AWI’s Program Director to discuss the details of volunteering, and to learn more about AWI and the M4MH workshop
- Checking in with the AWI Workshop Facilitator a few days prior to the event over the phone to go over the day-of details
- Arriving at the workshop one hour before the event starts
- Assisting with the setup of the AWI table of resources
- Passing out and collecting pre- and post-workshop surveys
- Typing into the Powerpoint while the facilitator is running the workshop
- Taking photos throughout the workshop
- After the workshop, representing AWI at the resource table, chatting with students about AWI, and helping with any logistical clean-up before leaving the event
If there are multiple volunteers, you will not need to do all of these tasks, so don’t worry if there’s anything in that list that you wouldn’t want to do.
If you’re interested in being a Workshop Support Volunteer for this event (or any others with AWI), please reach out to Hawa at haw email@example.com , including the school where the workshop will take place, and a little bit about yourself and your connection to the arts / mental health. Thank you!
- People Skills
- Event Planning / Management
- Relationship Building
Good Match For
Requirements & Commitment
- 1 hour prep, 3.5 hours at event