10 people are interested
"A good friendship is a conversation that never ends." (Visiting Volunteer)
10 people are interested
Together, we can disrupt social isolation and build a thriving Portland for all of us!
We build connections by visiting with people, who are looking to enjoy another's person company. We engage in the most basic practice that we can provide for one another which is listen and be present.
- Building relationships and spending time with Maybelle Center Members.
- Actively listening
- Promote self-advocacy and connect Maybelle Center Members to other services at Maybelle Center.
- Walk, bus or drive to visits in the downtown area.
- Visit by phone with Maybelle Center Members (Occasionally)
- Engage in games and conversations with Maybelle Center Members.
- Honor privacy and confidentiality
- Visit 2 - 6 people each volunteer shift, with a volunteer partner.
- Be able to commit to volunteering a minimum of 6 months to a year
- Be available one afternoon a week for 2-3 hours, Monday through Friday, between 12-4pm
- Complete Volunteer Application. https://www.volgistics.com/ex/portal.dll/ap?ap=1250262024
- Attend a Volunteer Orientation. You will be invited to a Volunteer Orientation once your application is approved
- Contact Cecily Peterson email@example.com or 971-202-7461 for more information.
01:00 PM to 03:00 PM
Visiting Times are Monday - Fridays in 2-3 hours shifts in the afternoons.
- NONE OF THESE TIMES WORK FOR ME, BUT I CAN STILL HELP
About Maybelle Center for Community
121 NW Sixth Ave, PORTLAND, OR 97209, US
Together, we can disrupt social isolation and build a thriving Portland for all of us! CONNECTION IS A BASIC HUMAN NEED We all need people in our lives that "get us." People who accept us for who we are and share our joys and sorrows during the inevitable twists and turns of life.
Since 1991, we’ve built a more vibrant Portland by collaborating with residents in more than 30 buildings in the downtown area who face barriers to meaningful connection - so more of us can experience a healthy, connected life and contribute to a thriving Portland.
What we do!
Home Visits: Pairs of community volunteers visit folks living on the margins and at risk for social isolation (typically weekly).
Support Services: One-on-one meetings with members to navigate barriers to independence and stability.
Spiritual Support: Spiritual support and memorials appropriate to each member’s faith or religious tradition.
Community Room: Our community room is a comfortable space for members to gather during the day. Affectionately called "their living room."
Low Income Housing: Macdonald West has 42 affordable studio apartments for people who earn 60% or less of the median family income.
Assisted Living: Macdonald Residence has 54 rooms and is one of the only 100% Medicaid facilities in the nation.
121 NW Sixth AvePortland, OR 97209
November 3, 2021
- People Skills
- Mental Health
- Counseling / Mental Health
- Relationship Building
- Conflict Resolution
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- One afternoon a week for 2-3 hours, Monday-Friday, 12-4PM
- Be able to commit to volunteering a minimum of 6 months for 1 afternoon a week